X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth cable size

Hi.
    Could anyone please help me.

I have recently noticed that the big earth return cable going from my engine case to the negative of my battery is partly broken through.
    I am thinking of replacing it but am wondering what rating to use.
    Someone told me it is the earth return for the starter motor,and was wondering how mutch current it needs to handle.I have got some braided earth cable rated at 63 AMPS, would this be big enough.

Cheers Billygs.

63 amps, christ, i would hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by schott1984 View Post
      63 amps, christ, i would hope so.
      Cheers schott i'll be fitting it tomorrow.

cheers billy gs

Comment

I've bought two things from this guy and he's honest. Click here
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          I've bought two things from this guy and he's honest. Click here
          Thanks Chef.

Billygs

Comment

I made my own using 8 gauge wire and some crimp on o-ring battery terminals. Works fine, never feels hot to the touch either.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the original was about 8 gauge or so. I think there may be metric wire guage sizes, but 8 is close. My positive cable to the starter melted thru the plastic coating so I put a 6 gauge wire on there. A little over kill but It will hold up to the heat better.

Comment

Originally posted by relic-rider View Post
                I'm pretty sure the original was about 8 gauge or so. I think there may be metric wire guage sizes, but 8 is close. My positive cable to the starter melted thru the plastic coating so I put a 6 gauge wire on there. A little over kill but It will hold up to the heat better.
                The bigger the better.just never go smaller!Solder and use shrink tube if possible.

Comment

Working...
                X