RE:airbox problems-check this out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE:airbox problems-check this out!

I posted about a week ago with a lean running bike due to old airbox boots that won't stay on the carbs. I was going to go to pods but had an idea. I bought a two inch diameter radiator hose from pep boys for 15$ and cut it into four 3 inch pieces. I clamped the pieces onto the carb intakes, got rid of the old boots, and mashed the carbs down into the intake boots while squishing the radiator hose pieces back into the airbox. I had to wrestle with it for a good hour, but I got the whole thing together. The new "boots" fit so good and tight into the airbox that I jammed another one into the hose joint in the rear just to make sure there were no leaks going to the air filter housing. you might want to put some rtx around the hoses if you try this yourself.
    It doesn't look pretty but it appears to be airtight, which would be the first time this bike has ever been close to spec. Seems like the airbox seems to be a common problem on these bikes so hopefully some of you will be able to use the same trick. While I was at the hardware store getting the hose clamps I saw some rubber hose joints in the plumbing section that would work even better, as they are already cut to the correct size.

Now to determine whether I've killed the bike by running lean...there's A LOT of noise coming from the cylinder head; I adjusted the clearances but that only made it louder. It's not smoking or anything, and all four pipes are hot.
    Taking it for a leak-down test tommorow, fingers are crossed...

These GSs are known to have loud top ends. If it's only a chorus of ticks and not any loud knocks you should be alright.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My 78 sounds like a drawer full of loose silverware going down the road...AND the sounds change right along with the temperature. :?

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
        My 78 sounds like a drawer full of loose silverware going down the road...AND the sounds change right along with the temperature. :?
        Don't drink the Kool-aid!:shock:
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Don't drink the Kool-aid!:shock:
          Too late...

Comment

let's see a pic of your fix-

Comment

airbox fix

here's one pic... more tomorrow

Comment

looks good even up close like that

Comment

What sort of motorcycle might that be, pray tell?

My guess is a 1962 Tohatsu Runpet...
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

you can buy replacement boots that will last another 20 years for about 12 bucks a pop, maybe less.
                    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                    82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x
                    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                    X