Help!! Extra Mystery Part Fell out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! Extra Mystery Part Fell out!

I was doing some repairs on the GS1000L today - Rear tire replacement, new stator and R/R, clutch springs, new(er) chain and sprockets, oil change.

Had the 3 engine covers off, rear tire, front sprocket, brake caliper and stay, lower shocks undone, and was dropping the swingarm when this dropped out from above the swingarm area:

It was very clean, and had a light coating of clear oil on it (much unlike the oil I had just drained. Some sort of bushing...very smooth. I went over every part I removed, and tried it on all the bolts, but I can't figure it out. It can't have been sitting in the battery area from a previous repair - it's too clean. Had my Brother-in-Law (mechanic) right there, and he looked it over as well - no clue.

If anyone can tell me what this part may be, I'd be very grateful! I'd like to go visiting some friends tomorrow on my motorcycle. [-o<
    Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2007, 04:21 PM.

That bushing fits in either (which ever is missing) the right or left hand roller bearing set of your swingarm.

Drop your swingarm again. Grease both sets of bearings in the swing arm. Make sure all the rollers turn too. Install both bushings.

BUT, If the one that didn't fall out won't turn or come out it's going to need to be replaced. If it's rusted it's easier and cheaper to let a dealer or a shop familiar with this repar do the job than for the shade tree mech to attempt it. My dealer pulled both rusted together bushings and bearings for $15. Replacement parts are expensive, but this is a job that CANNOT be ignored. Plan on greasing those swingarm bearings once a year.

Comment

Part Number Eight:

Comment

I have a bushing that is similar to that for my rear shocks. Sometimes when removing shock, the bushing will stay on bolt. Good luck.

Comment

It's about half the size of the swingarm bolt - very near the size of part #3, the shock bushing. But both of those are in place. The diameter of this bushing is also slightly smaller than the shock bushing.

If the thing wasn't so clean, I'd swear it didn't even go on this bike.... still looking at fiche and the shop manual. It must be from under one of the covers, where it would get steady lubrication.

Comment

I wish money would fall out of my bike.....it falls in real easy, though!:shock:

Comment

So I went and grabbed a quarter and one of the old rusted bushings from my 550. (useful as bearing drifts) Sure enough. The swingarm bushing is almost the diameter of a quarter. The one in the picture is considerably smaller.

I'm outta guesses, but, hey, I tried !

Good luck!

Comment

I made the mistake of leaving a spacer out of my rear wheel when I changed my tire a long time ago. Seems to me it was simular to that but not sure. I think its #4 but could be wrong. Its worth making sure though :-D you should be able to tell if the hole is the diameter of the axle then I am probably right. Are you sure its oil on it .....or old greese?

Comment

It's a pretty small bushing:
                  3/4" long
                  15/32 O.D.
                  10/32 I.D
                  Not a part of the wheel, unfortunately, but I do appreciate the help!

It didn't appear to be a part that was just lodged in there where it didn't belong, a forgotten part from another repair. It has no corrosion at all, like a lifter you just pulled out of a car, not a spec of dirt on it, and very smooth on the outer surface.

Still looking though fiche at Alpha.. didn't realise there were so many til I started trying to look at every one, lol.

Comment

there is a small spacer that the tank bolt goes through :-D. Eventualy somebody has to know what that part is......

Comment

Tank spacer is a possibility... Probably fumbled it the first time I removed the tank, and it just landed on top of the swingarm waiting for me to wonder wtf it was.

I went through every single fiche at Alpha, and noted each part that was a possibility. About 10 different ones in all. I'll have to check them against my notes in the morning. Or later in the morning, that is..... 3 hrs. to sleep, then fix that sucker at sunrise.

At the very least, I'm convinced that it's nothing that will kill me, or break the bike if it doesn't go back in immediately. I'll find it though!

Thanks again to everyone for making this a bit less aggravating. It's a great feeling for a novice to know there's some help out there!

When find out where this part fits, a Mod can move this thread to the "Panicking Newbie' section.

Comment

It looks like one of the locator pins for the engine sidecovers or valve cover.

Earl

Originally posted by Regent View Post
                        I was doing some repairs on the GS1000L today - Rear tire replacement, new stator and R/R, clutch springs, new(er) chain and sprockets, oil change.

Had the 3 engine covers off, rear tire, front sprocket, brake caliper and stay, lower shocks undone, and was dropping the swingarm when this dropped out from above the swingarm area:

It was very clean, and had a light coating of clear oil on it (much unlike the oil I had just drained. Some sort of bushing...very smooth. I went over every part I removed, and tried it on all the bolts, but I can't figure it out. It can't have been sitting in the battery area from a previous repair - it's too clean. Had my Brother-in-Law (mechanic) right there, and he looked it over as well - no clue.

If anyone can tell me what this part may be, I'd be very grateful! I'd like to go visiting some friends tomorrow on my motorcycle. [-o<
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by Regent View Post
                          It's a pretty small bushing:
                          3/4" long
                          15/32 O.D.
                          10/32 I.D
                          Not a part of the wheel, unfortunately, but I do appreciate the help!
                          Inches are filthy, imprecise leftovers of a less enlightened time. We'll have no more of that nasty talk around here! [-(

Now then, you appear have a spacer with the following dimensions:
                          8mm ID, 12mm OD, 19mm long

I also think it's the spacer from the bushing/bolt that holds the tank on at the rear. (8mm bolts on Suzukis usually have 12mm bolt heads, if that helps)

It's not one of the pins for one of the side covers -- those have much thinner walls, and none are as long as your spacer.

These locating pins are also made from a piece of metal bent into a cylinder, and have a longitudinal seam. Your piece is thicker and has no seam.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The rear tank bolt is supposed to have 2 pcs. of rubber and that spacer, but my tank only has one at the moment, so there's no spacer in there.

I got the bike back together and rode it a bit - too dark by the time I was done for a proper jaunt, but it'll surely get a workout tomorrow! The thing is just running great so far! No slipping clutch, no chain noise, nice traction from the rear + improved handling in turns, and 14 volts +. :-D:-D:-D

I'll figure the spacer out eventually, but tomorrow, I RIDE!!

P.S.
                            I knew I'd catch some flack for posting the dimensions in inches, lol.

Comment

You know, I could be wrong... but this looks an awful lot like the bolt collar that the headlight housing bolts pass through. Are all of yours present?

Comment

Working...
                              X