1982 GS850 Not starting, side stand light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS850 Not starting, side stand light

Last week, I had an interesting problem. Started up the bike with no problems, rode about 10 miles, and stopped for gas. Got ready to leave and when I raised the kickstand, the kickstand indicator light did not go out. I hit the starter button anyway...no joy...no click, nothing. Hmmm. Flicked switches, turned key on and off, sidestand up and down...no luck. The last time I raised the kickstand, everything worked.

It has since done this 2 more times. Battery is one year old and seems to be in good shape, as it spins over fine once it decides to crank.

Ideas?

Thanks,
    Kurt Kesler

Make sure the switch is clean.

See if you can take the switch appart to make sure it is clean and the wires are on ok. Also make sure the side stand is not worn out. If the hinge pin is worn, or its not going back into the position it should the switch wont be engaged.

The same problem I had with my clutch switch. I took the switch appart several times and got a couple new ones out of the junk yard before I figured out that the hinge pin was shot.

Comment

Heres another idea

BYPASS THE SWITCH !! I am a firm believer that gs bikes and some other mfg bikes have way too many switches. By pass it all together by following the wires up to the harness where I bet theres a femal and male plug. Unplug the switch wires and plug the harness plugs into one another. No more sidestand switch problem for you.

Louie

Comment

I wouldn't bypass the switch.

Don't bypass the switch. The switch being on the fritz could be an indicator that your side stand is shot. The switch may be fine, but the side stand may be ready to let go. Of your bike that is. Down in a heap. You know flat on its side. Wreck your case. Scratch the paint on the car next to your bike. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Comment

My switch conked out years ago. I bypassed it. Once in a great while, however, I do stupidly ride off with the kickstand down. But I'm still glad I got rid of the switch.

Comment

The weirdness continues. Thought I would start looking at everything this weekend and the starting problem and kickstand are evidently not related. Here we go: Turned on the switch, raised the kickstand, the kickstand light stays on, crank the bike, the light goes out. Repeated several times.

But no cranking problem.

Kurt

Comment

My kickstand switch light comes on if I turn on the ignition, but like yours, goes out if I start the motor. Even though the switch is long gone. Doesn't matter as long as it starts.

Comment

Did you cure this?

I changed my oil pressure switch and now my bike does this :x

The side stand switch was already disconnected when I got the bike.

Help

Gavin

Comment

My stand switch does not interlock the starter. I would guess that like earlier post, teh kill switch (which does interlock the starter), or the electrical part of the ignition switch is worn/dirty. :twisted:

Comment

I'd be more inclined to think it was the clutch switch. Try squeezing and releasing the clutch lever while pushing the start button. Mine only works in a certain spot that I find by doing the squeeze trick. I should fix it, but it could be an anti-theft device if left alone.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X