Starter differences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter differences?

So, I have an '83 GS1100GL and the starter would wheeze more than crank, so I decided to change the starter. The PO gave me a starter that came from a GS, "probably a 750 or 850." After getting the old one out (without removing the carbs or the cam chain tensioner, yay) and looking at the gears, they looked to be the same cut. However, the starters themselves are pretty different-looking. Of course, I failed to notice any part numbers on either starter, but I did notice that both were made by Motuba.

The starter that was in the bike looked lighter and less solidly-built. The mounting bosses on this starter is two bosses, with a thin web of metal between them, whereas the starter that went in has the metal between the bosses the same thickness as the bosses. The starter I took out of the bike had a rounded "cap," but the new starter had a cap that just had sharp corners instead of being rounded off. The electric connection was in the same place.

I jumped the starter that came out of my bike across the battery in my Jeep and it cranked, but it spun up very slowly. I'm guessing it's in need of a rebuild. Is this something I can do at home?

After changing the starter, the new starter cranks the bike just fine. However, it seems to crank a touch slower than the starter I took out.
    Am I safe to run the starter I put in? Are there any real differences besides external appearance in GS starters? Did anyone have a huge build-up of crap inside the spot where the starter lives?

I know that you can still get the brush set for the four brush starters from a suzuki dealer. They are around 25 bucks, and it is something that you could do by yourself very easily.

Comment

Their are two basic starters a 2 brush & a 4 brush- both can be interchanged. If the starter is good It should spin fast & try to get away from you by the torque. A good place for parts www.stockers.com

Comment

Thanks; I'll probably just use what I've got then. Maybe I'll rebuild the one I have out and keep it on hand.

Comment

Working...
        X