more info on my previous topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more info on my previous topic

Ok i figured i would just start the topic again and give you gurus some more info on my problem with my gs 1100 '81 . I finished rebuilding the carbs and installing them and syncing them the best i could (what ever that is worth). I drove the bike for two days (not non stop) so i could give you guys a better understanding of the problems i am now encountering. Mind you this bike has been sitting a while and i am just getting it back on the road. I will tell you all i have done to it , all i have in mind of doing and would like to know what else i need to do to it.
    1. I rebuilt the carbs (dipped, air compressed, synced) and turned out the air mixture screws to 2 turns
    2 I replaced the front tire.
    Note: I am not a motorcycle genius and have basic understanding of mechanics enough to rebuild the carbs, that is why i am asking for all your help.

When i start the bike it starts like a champ, sometimes i need to pull the choke but it depends if i give it gas when i start. (bike only has 7900 miles on it). Now when i rev it it pops (backfire) also it pops a little at idle but not as much as at higher rpms. I just got the bike on the road (i am changing the oil tomorrow and wont be riding the bike tonight becuase of this) !! When i drove home the bike after warming up seems to want to die and idles a lot lower than at start (say about 2 to 3 miles estimate) Is this due to their not being enough oil in the bike right now? Also I bought all new spark plugs to replace the old ones. Also (i may be wrong) but it seems like later into riding the clutch seems to be slipping (in my terms i mean at a stop light while the clutch is pulled in the bike moves a little when revved ) My clutch is really hard to pull back (maybe cause my hands are small but i have never had that problem before). Now keep in mind this bike does need tune ups by anyones standards but it is in great shape and has low miles so I ask could you guys possible answer my questions or give me a list of all the stuff i need to go and do to the bike to get it up to par. I am leaving my email because I am sure this will probably be a long follow up. I will also keep you guys aware of my progress so i can get the best help money can or cannot buy. Oh and by the way you guys really are great to be able to help out all us newbies without telling us to stop repeating the same help questions so again Thanks

My email is derekandtonya@earthlink.net

Comment

pull your new plugs and tell us what they look like dont drive it untill after you pull the new plugs and tell us what you have as far as color goes. this is step one.

Comment

for step one, do what Slopoke says. As for the clutch, remove the cable from the bike and lube lube lube it, reinstall, adjust so handle has 2-3mm 'freeplay' then test. do this after you do Slopokes advice. post back and tell us what you have, and we'll go from there. :twisted:

Comment

To sync the carbs without a set of carb sticks use the idle adjuster/throttle stop and turn it until number 3 just closes. Then use the adjusters on carbs 1, 2, and 4 to do the same for them. That should get you pretty damn close.

Comment

I want to verify that you want the color of the new plugs or the ones in their right now (the old ones.) ?

Comment

The new ones. Check them as they are taken out, and record the colour of each according to the cylinder it came from.

Sounds like you are running too rich ...is your air filter clean, and properly attached?
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If your un it long enough the old plugs will clean themselves up if the jetting is right. I was running rich a few weeks ago. The plugs were black. After some adjustments and a little riding they've cleaned up and turned tan.

Comment

Ok I pulled the plugs and i can put them on here with a pic if you would like. When I first pulled them when i bought the bike they were black (i guess from running rich) and i cleaned them up a little bit. Now they are a little cleaner. They have not returned to black which i guess is good. Now i drained the oil after spilling most of it on the ground from bad judgment and aim but it was blacker than my tires. I bought some of that mobile 1 fully sythetic stuff that i saw slopoke mention in an oil forum at 3.99 a quart. i am also going to adjust the throtle cable and and clutch to give it a better idle. However what is the next step i need to concentrate on now. I will place any pics you require but i need to know how to do that on this site. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X