Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn signal self-cancel (yes, I've searched!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signal self-cancel (yes, I've searched!)

'79 GS850GN UK spec. While stationary my turn signals switch off after 12/13 flashes, then refuse to do anything for 8/9 seconds, then work again for 12/13 flashes etc. etc. Consistently! Switching from left to right still results in a combined 12/13 flashes, then nothing for 8/9 seconds.

I've had a search and couldn't find similar symptoms or solutions (voltage sensitivity?). Disconnecting the speed sensor doesn't change anything.

In the absence of a cure can anyone tell me how to bypass the self-cancel unit.

Many thanks

Rich
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2007, 07:02 AM.

Try this.

Those self-cancelling units are a pain. Basically the fix is to get a manual turn signal switch off another unit and re-wire flashers.

Comment

Do you have a repair manual? If you don't, get one. I have 3 - a Suzuki shop manual, a Clymers, and a Haynes - and I think they all have detailed instructions on troubleshooting those switches. It may have a bad connection somewhere, require a good cleaning, or need to be replaced. If it's the latter, try what mark suggested that Renobruce did - turn it into a manual.

If you do take it apart, be careful and don't lose any of the the springs. Don't ask me how I know.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2007, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
        If you do take it apart, be careful and don't lose any of the the springs. Don't ask me how I know.
        Oh great, now you tell us....

By losing the one side to side spring I made my auto cancel switch into a manual. Thats a tough thing to get use to after 25 years. DONT forget to turn it off after the turn. We lost a biker up here this summer because of that.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Hmmm. On my '83 1100 the self cancel kicks in sooner the hotter the bike gets, but if I flip the switch again it will stay on and has to be cancelled manuelly...man-u-alley...manualy. I'm used to it now so it does not bother me...every time.

Comment

Many thanks guys

I reckon I'll wait for a manual cancel switch or another control box on ebay. The boxes come up fairly regularly (probably beacuse they're knackered as well!)

Rich

Comment

Standard Connectors

Does anyone know the manufacturer and part number for the 4 pin and 6 pin connectors on the turn signal control unit? Or alternatively where I can find out? I presume they're the same on all of these turn signal control units.

I have a similar problem with my 79 GS850GN and was amazed at the sticker price for a new unit. Being an electronics design engineer with a large blue chip company whose expertise is embedded contollers I figured I'd make my own, keep my money and have some fun as well. It's all prototyped and working ready to design my circuit board and fit into the target enclosure. The only parts I've not been able to narrow down so I can make this a plug and play unit are the connectors.

Can anyone help with that?
              It's smoke that make electronic components work.
              Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
              '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
              '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
              '82 GS1000SZ
              '82 GS1100GL
              '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

There is a decent chance they are made by Hitachi and are available from Electrical Connection.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I've taken a look but the Hitachi ones are locking type like found under the tank. The connectors on the turn signal controller are a different type... of course!! Maybe I'll take a picture and see if posting that would help.
                  It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                  Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                  '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                  '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                  '82 GS1000SZ
                  '82 GS1100GL
                  '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

I ditched my self canceling setup and replaced it with a push-to-cancel switch from a '92 GSXR 750. The wiring is pretty easy and you don't have to chop up your main wiring harness. Best of all push-to-cancel eliminates fumbling for the middle switch position.

Comment

Hi,
                      Maybe I am too late with this reply, but these turn canceling units have a sensor in the speedometer and sense when the speed drops below 14km/h and then switches the turn signal off after 9 seconds.
                      The flasher unit is a 3 wire device with one wire used to the self canceling device. You can cut out the self canceling unit by just plugging in a 2 pin flasher unit without modifying any of the bikes wiring. And check that the speed sensing unit is working and the signal is arriving back at the SCU before suspecting it as faulty. The usual connector problem is sometimes the cause of malfunctioning here.

Comment

Hi,
                        Maybe I am too late with this reply, but these turn canceling units have a sensor in the speedometer and sense when the speed drops below 14km/h and then switches the turn signal off after 9 seconds.
                        The flasher unit is a 3 wire device with one wire used to the self canceling device. You can cut out the self canceling unit by just plugging in a 2 pin flasher unit without modifying any of the bikes wiring. And check that the speed sensing unit is working and the signal is arriving back at the SCU before suspecting it as faulty. The usual connector problem is sometimes the cause of malfunctioning here.

Comment

Hi RJ,

My '78 GS1000 has a dodgy self cancel indicator control unit it seems (it only indicates right side - i have i think eliminated the switch and wires as faulty).

How do you bypass this i.e. the 4 and 6 pin connections on the harness - you mention you did this? Do i need to bridge the connection? Which wires?

Cheers:-D

Comment

Sorry folks - i didnt see Matchless's reply until just now - i will try as he says thanks.8-[

Comment

Self cancel indicators are easily fixed!!! find the self cancel unit!! Un-plug it and throw over left shoulder, Taa-Daa you are left with standard indicators that you manually cancel.
                              All five of my GS's have been suitably "up-graded" for many years with no issues.

Dink

Comment

Working...
                              X