Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn signal self-cancel (yes, I've searched!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dink View Post
    Self cancel indicators are easily fixed!!! find the self cancel unit!! Un-plug it and throw over left shoulder, Taa-Daa you are left with standard indicators that you manually cancel.
    All five of my GS's have been suitably "up-graded" for many years with no issues.

Dink
    Dink,
    You are so right - my bad! I had forgotten that I replaced my flasher unit with one that was not current(load) sensitive at the time I worked on it and recall now that the flasher unit worked with the TSCU unplugged after I got a wiring problem sorted out. Obviously if the flashers do not work normally when ther TSCU is unplugged, then something else is wrong!
    Apologies if I confused someone else here.

Comment

Thanks for the info - but - if i unplug the indicator control unit it seems that there is no longer power going to the flasher relay unit (and hence no flashing). Do i need to supply a power source to it.
      Also i checked my flasher unit - it is the 2 pin type, not 3 pin.

My ICU has two small coils in it, one appears OK and the other has apparently had a mini meltdown.

Consequently oerating the switch is fine for one side but not the other - i am assuming that one coil is for left and one for right (right??).

The wires coming to the ECU are one 6 connector with orange,blue/red,black/white,light blue, brown/yellow and black and red wires feeding it. The other is a 4 conector with light green, light green/black, and two plain black wires.

I have a downloaded factory wiring diagramme but this is confusing, so i am assuming that cutting the wires off the ECU and connecting a combination of relevant wires from the two plugs will complete the circuit?

Anyone know?

I have powered both indicator circuits and can get either side to light up so i think that the ECU is the only fault.

Cheers

Comment

I overlooked Marks attached solution on p1 - will do this!!!. Should have read it properly the first time. Will go back to my cave.

I recently restored my GS1000 E 1978, new RR = stator
        as recommended, new bearings seals, paint throughout, new tyres, generator side cover, clutch springs, brakes completely overhauled, new braided hoses, fuel tap (has been re fitted with an 80 tank now). Was down on power but doing the shims fixed this (nil clearance on most), progressive springs, Ikon damping adjustable shocks. It is a nice handling bike now and relaxing and comfortable.

Pic attached hopefully.

Thanks

Comment

Mine had same problem, search for renobruce he has a post titled 78-79 GS1000 auto to manual turn signal fix . you have to replace your turn signal switch with a manual switch
          and easy fix .Just have to remember to turn off blinkers . Rob

Originally posted by Jackbob View Post
          Hi RJ,

My '78 GS1000 has a dodgy self cancel indicator control unit it seems (it only indicates right side - i have i think eliminated the switch and wires as faulty).

How do you bypass this i.e. the 4 and 6 pin connections on the harness - you mention you did this? Do i need to bridge the connection? Which wires?

Cheers:-D

Comment

Yep sorted thanks Reno

Comment

Thanks Robu!

Comment

Working...
              X