No Choke Needed (all of a sudden)???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Choke Needed (all of a sudden)???

Since I bought the bike (a few months ago) I've needed some choke to warm her up when starting. When I would pull the choke up, it naturally idled higher. All of a sudden, the choke isn't really doing much when pulled. It's not bringing my idle up at all. So now i have to sit there a give it a bit of gas for a few minutes till it's okay to idle without stalling. about 4 minutes.

The only thing that has been done recently that I imagine might effect this, is I added the proper amount of sea foam about 4 tanks ago. This bike is, now, running much smoother.

Any suggestions on what this choke situation is? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance.

I am to assume that the choke linckage is all in working order. There is a good chance that with the addition of the Seafoam, you've loosened up some crud in the bowls and it has found its' way into the choke circuits or the pick up tubes have become clogged.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      choke circuits or the pick up tubes have become clogged.
      That doesn't sound good. Is there an easy was to remove and clean? Never heard of choke circuits or pick up tubes. thanks!!

Comment

I doubt there's any need to worry. It'll be a PITA to get warmed up but if its runs OK when warmed you'll probably not hurt anything. If you've got blockage in a main jet it could run lean and burn stuff. The choke circut is the passages the fuel travels through when the choke is on. A pick up tube is a small tube that extends into the fuel bowl or resovoir on the bottom of the carb. Most would say the removal and cleaning are intense. I've never heard the job called an easy one.

Comment

Mr. maro,

It wouldn't hurt to try another round of Sea Foam. You might get lucky and it sure would beat taking apart your carbs.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
            That doesn't sound good. Is there an easy was to remove and clean? Never heard of choke circuits or pick up tubes. thanks!!
            No real easy way to fix things. As fgh says...you're not going to hurt anything running as is but to do the job right, you'll have to break the carbs down and clear all the passages. When you're in it that far, new o-rings are a must and then, since the carbs are off, I'd pull the intake tubes and treat the head to new o-rings as well. :?

Comment

Time to take the carbs off and clean using this as a guideline:

Pay special attention to #'s 75-78 and 91. These are the main components in the choke circuit that get clogged up. When they are clogged, you have NO choke at all. I had three of the four carbs get plugged passages in the float bowls on mine and it was a bear to start. Cleaned them out and all is well.

Comment

okay. Thanks for all the help. I really don't have the time for the carb clean right now. Since it's summer, and choking isn't that much of a concern, I'll try another round of seafoam for the moment. If it persists, than the carb clean will be priority as the outside temps drops.

thanks again.

Comment

Save it for the off-season

Originally posted by maro View Post
                  okay. Thanks for all the help. I really don't have the time for the carb clean right now. Since it's summer, and choking isn't that much of a concern, I'll try another round of seafoam for the moment. If it persists, than the carb clean will be priority as the outside temps drops.

thanks again.
                  That's what winter is for! Unfortunately, where I live we don't really get winter so any time spent wrenching directly affects time spent riding. Best of luck to you Mr. maro.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                  X