Plug caps and coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plug caps and coils

I've got a problem somewhere and did the coil bench tests. The Ohms between plug wires #2 and #3 are just right but I get no reading at all between #1 and #4.

I removed the plug cap from #4 (which is where I suspect the problem lies). I checked the continuity between the top part of the cap that pierces the wire and the bottom part that makes contact with the plug....there is no continuity. There certainly should be continuity.....right???8-[
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Dont beat yourself up trying to read your meter. Bust open the kids piggy bank and go get some new NGK plug caps. Unscrew the old ones, Cut a 1/4" off the old wires, Screw in the new caps. Quick and painless. Now get back to work so you can pay back the piggy bank !! :-D
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Or you could look into the plug end of the cap. There should be slots for a flat blade screwdriver. Diss-assemble, remove resistor pelet, spring and brass disc. Clean the inside thoroughly. Check continuity from the bottom of the hole to the outside terminal. Should be near zero ohms. if yes, take a ball point pen spring and replace the resistor pelet, stock spring, and brass disc. put a little dielectric grease in there for good measure and install terminal plug you removed. You now have a non-surpressed plug cap.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Or you could look into the plug end of the cap. There should be slots for a flat blade screwdriver. Diss-assemble, remove resistor pelet, spring and brass disc. Clean the inside thoroughly. Check continuity from the bottom of the hole to the outside terminal. Should be near zero ohms. if yes, take a ball point pen spring and replace the resistor pelet, stock spring, and brass disc. put a little dielectric grease in there for good measure and install terminal plug you removed. You now have a non-surpressed plug cap.
        Thank you! I did take one of them apart and it was just as you described. By the way, to answer my own question...there should not be continuity between the top and the bottom.

After changing the caps, I now have 30K Ohms between the plugs on one coil (which is fine) but only 23K Ohms between the other two. I'm guessing either the wire has internal breaks or the coil isn't functioning properly. Any ideas??
        Last edited by chuckycheese; 07-30-2007, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Some caps have a 8K resistor and some have a 5K resistor and they are not very precise. Corrosion inside the cap will also alter the readings. Check between a low reading plug wire and the laminations. Should be open. If that checks good, then you're all set.

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you...but I don't understand. What are the laminations??

Comment

Working...
            X