'82 GS650GL won't turn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS650GL won't turn.

OK. So, I've gone through my '82 rather thoroughly to save it from the slow death it was having in the neighbor's garage for the last five years. I highly doubt anything I've done matters with this issue, so I'll skip it. Anyhow, got it running and moving just fine. I was making some carb adjustments trying to get it to idle jussssssssssssst right. She'd been running for at least 5 minutes, probably no more than 10. While throttling it, she just upped and died REAL fast. Ends up I blew the main fuse out the back (not the filament...hole at the end!). So, I replaced that and all the lights and such come back on. However, I go to turn it and nothin'. I have had this issue sporadically in the past while riding where she won't turn at all. So, I turn it off, back on again, etc and she'll fire right up. But, nothing at all this time around. Is there something else that might have popped? Like a relay I'm missing? I don't know a lot about bikes but know my way around cars and have used said knowledge to get this beast running. But, now she won't. I'm sad.

You probably have something totally unrelated that just happened to come about.

1. Check the clutch switch...it might be out of adjustment.
    2. Check the starter selinoid.
    3. Check the start button.
    4. Check the starter motor.

Any of these stupid little things can cause it not to crank.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

That's kind of what I was figuring. Ugh. I had already cleaned the clutch switch (it was pretty gunky) but that didn't do anything. OH well. Good ol' trial and error time! Would any of those things be likely to go bad if the fuse blew a split second too late? Especially if it had been having issues as it was prior to the blown fuse?

Comment

start tracing power

Check ur voltage:

1) at battery, bike off
        2) at relay when u press start
        3) at starter motor (need to take carbs off and top cover plate)

(if ur getting power to the starter motor, but no crank, clean out starter)

--thats as far as I can get you. I've not been further than that. I suppose you could have loose ground someplace that might keep the bike from running, but I think the starter should crank as long as your getting power there. Beyond that I suspect the next places to check are the spark plugs but it sounds like you're not even cranking up.

Can't help you on the blown fuse, that sounds like maybe a bad/failing reg/rect possibly? or something allowing more V to get to the fuses than what there ought to be.

Comment

ignition switch too

I just had a similar problem with blowing fuses - turned out to be a short in the ignition switch.

Remove and replace, part is about $20 from any dealer.

Comment

check the kill switch...

if it blew a fuse tho, there is likely something worse looming... maybe check the stator papers and see if your Reg/Rectifier might be hosed?

good luck!!!

Comment

Working...
            X