fule to carberator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fule to carberator

Is there a way to use starting fluid straight into the carb on a motorcycle like I would to a car?

I did not start my bike for a few weeks and now I think the carb is too dry. The engine cranks over fine but I cannot get the bike to start.

Set pectock to PRI (prime) for 30 seconds or so and then try to crank her over. Prime will fill the bowls of the carbs with fuel and is used specifically for when the carbs are dry. After she's running turn petcock back to RUN. Good luck.

Comment

THERE IS NO NEED FOR STARTING FLUID. :shock:
      Sorry to shout at you, but I wanted to get your attention. 8-[

All the fluid you need to start the bike is already just above the carbs. As JTsGS650 just mentioned, set your petcock to the PRIME position for 30-60 seconds, then use full choke and start the bike. Don't forget to put the petcock back to RUN before you take off. If I remember correctly, PRIME will run the tank right to the bottom, leaving you with NO reserve, so if you run out of gas while on PRIME, you are really out of gas.

Too many people do not know how to use starting fluid correctly. It is so easy to do damage by over-using it, and I have seen too much damage done to engines to ever encourage anyone to use it.

Last edited by Steve; 07-31-2007, 12:33 PM. Reason: It's MY post, I don' need no steenkin' reason!
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

With my bike after sitting for a year, I've filled the tank with fresh gas, opened the float drain plugs, then turned the petcock to Prime to refill the carbs. Started right up.

Probably should have squirted some prelube into the plugholes, but no harm seems to have been done.
        Mark Fisher
        sigpic

Comment

Started right up.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X