Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any advice on getting carbs back into rubber boots

on intake manifold side not air box.

Use dish washing liquid on the rubber. It makes the carbs or anything else slide in alot easier.

Comment

shouldn't i be worried about that getting sucked into the intake manifold? its inches and down a slope

Comment

I use a light wipe general purpose grease.

The trick is to get the bottom lip in and then rotate the whole
        set upward. They should pop right in. Make sure you hook up the
        throttle before you rotate them.

Comment

IF you grease them Use ONLY silicon grease. Conventional grease will deform the rubber. If it is that hard to get them in ? Have you considered replacing the boots ?. Use some silicon spray lube, & a 2x2 for leverage

Comment

I've seen WD-40 recommended for this task many times in this forum.

Comment

I had to get a rack of BS carbs back in the other night...a bit harder than the two carb setups, it seems. I ended up using a couple of slider wood clamps. Was able to put one end of the clamp on outside lip of outside carb, and the other end of the clamp on the 'valley' portion of the head where the outside spark plug goes. Opposite side I put a clamp in the same spot. Tightened 'em down progressively, and the carbs slipped right in. I use simple green as a lube. When trying to push them in by hand, I found that I'd push one side in, and it would pull out when I went to push the other side in. The clamps prevented that from happening.

Comment

You just tilt the carbs forward and work them slowly over the bootsthen just push back on the carbs and down to get them in there.If you take your time it will fall right into place.Once you do it correctly it is easy.

Comment

A little wheel bearing grease and a hair dryer worked for me when I was stuffing some over size carbs on.
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

KY Jelly :-D:-D:-D

Comment

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
                      KY Jelly :-D:-D:-D
                      Yup. And paint the lip and the inside of the boots pink... they'll fall right in! 8-[
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                        Yup. And paint the lip and the inside of the boots pink... they'll fall right in! 8-[
                        A little foreplay will get the boots all wet and it'll slide right in without KY \\/

Comment

When doing it with cold parts, and cold hands, it is doubly difficult to do.

Silicone spray is definitely the best lubricant to us , but it does not guarantee an easy job. I spray the boots and the carb edges.

I tried the wood clamp trick, but the clamps kept shifting, and then falling away.

I tried a variety of ways, but finally decided on a piece of 1 x 3 held firmly across the carb faces and a 2 1/2 pound club hammer.

With the carbs positioned correctly, and pressed firmly against the boots, a couple of persuasions at each end is all it takes. (It helps if you are familiar with using this type of hammer....I have done a lot of stone work)
                          No. I am not kidding.
                          No, there not been any trace of damage
                          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Fvck the airbox. Get pods. :-D\\/
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

How about Hylomar? It's available at Advance Auto. My old BMW manual called for it on many engine gasket part assemblies (water pump, valve cover, etc.). It's a non-curing gasketing material that is basically always greasy and has some sealing properties (that could maybe help with some tiny vacuum issues). I haven't tried it for carb boots yet, but the thought had crossed my mind.

Rick
                              81 GS550TX

Comment

Working...
                              X