Clutch steel plate "edge" direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch steel plate "edge" direction?

The friction discs showed up for my clotch today. They're currently marinating in 10W40. I'm going to scuff up the steel plates with some scotch-brite before I put them back in tomorrow, but I noticed something: the outer edge of the steel plates are sharp on one side and rounded on the other. Does it matter which way they go in? My Suzuki-building friend says he's always put the sharp edges out, but I'd like to know what you all do.

I've always done the opposite, round side out. If you buy aftermarket I think they're the same on both sides so it doesn't matter.

I suppose if you choose one way they all should be that way.

I'm just a shade tree guy, so someone else with more experience may chime in.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Same as Carter Turk

Comment

I am in the process of putting my clutch back together and ran across this thread. My clutch has never been out before and I looked at the last plate, held in by the piano wire and it has the sharp side facing outward, i.e towards the cover.

So this seems opposite of the other posts. And yes I'm sure it has never been taken out/apart before.

Comment

Originally posted by jtolbert View Post
          The friction discs showed up for my clotch today. They're currently marinating in 10W40. I'm going to scuff up the steel plates with some scotch-brite before I put them back in tomorrow, but I noticed something: the outer edge of the steel plates are sharp on one side and rounded on the other. Does it matter which way they go in? My Suzuki-building friend says he's always put the sharp edges out, but I'd like to know what you all do.
          I just replaced the clutch pack in my YZ250F tonight and a buddy helping me said the sharp edges go to the outside. This makes it easier for the clutch to engage and possibly harder to disengage if a sharp edge hangs up on the hub.

Mark

Comment

Trust me on this one. As a Suzuki dealership mechanic I have done, LITERALLY, hundreds of Suzuki clutches. The factory installed ALL of the original ones I ever removed with the rounded side IN. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by windex View Post
              I am in the process of putting my clutch back together and ran across this thread. My clutch has never been out before and I looked at the last plate, held in by the piano wire and it has the sharp side facing outward, i.e towards the cover.

So this seems opposite of the other posts. And yes I'm sure it has never been taken out/apart before.
              Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              Trust me on this one. As a Suzuki dealership mechanic I have done, LITERALLY, hundreds of Suzuki clutches. The factory installed ALL of the original ones I ever removed with the rounded side IN. Ray.

Sounds like we have a winner! Sharp OUT, round IN.

They all have to face the same way, and on many clutches, the last plate is held in with a wire, so I always base it on that.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X