Bad coil/coil wire??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad coil/coil wire??

As usual, I have issues with my bike. It pops on deceleration but accelerates great. I changed my plug caps and tested the coils at the same time (before and after).

My official Suzuki shop manual says my primary reading should be between 3 Ohm and 5 Ohm and the secondary reading (plug cap to plug cap) should be between 30K Ohm and 35K Ohm.

My primary numbers are just right (4 Ohm) and so is one of of my secondary numbers (31K Ohms). But......the other one is only 23K Ohms. The thing most confusing is that all 4 plugs look perfect. I would appreciate any thoughts since I'm baffled why I don't either get a better reading..or, have a fouled plug?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Have you checked your points and timing?

Comment

Normally if a coil goes bad it will open causing a high or open reading and is not normally associated with just popping on decell. You would end up with no spark or weak spark. Popping on decell can be caused by a lean condition. Exhaust leaks can also cause popping on decell. Does it pop when you let completely of the throttle? If yes it's possible the pilot circuit is slightly lean.

Comment

All looks fine.....

Like I said, my secondary numbers on #1/#4 are way out of whack.(By the way, I've got no points and no timing.) As I said, my reading on that coil is about 23K Ohms...it's supposed to be between 30K Ohms and 35K Ohms...that part of the equation is what interests me at this point.

What can I expect for a reading like that which is approximately 75% of the minimum Ohms expected,..... at the very least? I would think it would make a difference.8-[

Comment

Well if you want to narrow down what is causing the low reading. Unscrew / remove the caps and check just the coils. Then measure each cap. Do this on both coils and all 4 caps so you have a reference. The numbers should add up.

Comment

Ohms

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't measure them independently but I did measure them in combination both before and after changing to new plug caps....the numbers were exactly the same.8-[

Comment

Working...
            X