Need opinions on the next step to get my GS850 on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need opinions on the next step to get my GS850 on the road

OK, here's where I'm at with my '81 GS850G.
    Replaced the rubber in the carbs, cleaned, reset the floats, reinstalled.
    Question- does anyone carry that little rubber pilot jet plug? Every place I've looked has it marked as discontinued.

I also Re-set the valve clearances

I have been able to get the bike running and idling, but not very well (the airbox is still off so I'm not too concerned about the idle yet) but it will bog down above 1/8 throttle then catch slowly back up and go to higher revs- sometimes it just stays bogged down (bike free-revving with no load). How much of this can be caused by the airbox being off? Should I pull the carbs again and double check float height?

Thanks
    Mark

The airbox being off will make a huge difference from what I have seen & heard.

I can't comment on float height but I have heard that they are not too fussy if you are somewhere close to spec. It might be worth trying it with the airbox on as it's not a huge job.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks- I'm waiting for new airbox rubber hoses- the ones originally on the bike are trashed.
      Cheers
      Mark

Comment

Take it you've seen this http://www.cycleorings.com/

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

No airbox will goof up the whole range. It definitely IS crucial. I'm surprised you could get the bike to start without an airbox.

In my experience, float height is also very important. Assuming the rest of the intake system is healthy and well-sealed, you can easily tell the difference between 0.5mm adjustments of float height. This primarily affects the midrange and low midrange.

And yes, the rubber passage plugs are important as well. CRC2 and Z1 Enterprises might be able to help you out with these, if you haven't checked already. They also pop up on eBay commonly.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I already bought the o-ring kit- awesome deal. I think I need to get the idle passage plugs as well though- decided to try the old ones but I don't think it's going to work. . .
            So new airbox boots, I have already sealed the airbox, replace the idle passage plugs, re-check the float height, and try again-

Thanks guys
            Cheers
            Mark

Comment

The best place to go for discontinued parts for your bike is e-bay. or even the parts section of this forum. Look for a complete carburetor for your bike so you have a spare if anything else needs to be replaced. You will also need a great deal of patience. These are old fussy ladies we are working on.

Comment

Click here for the pilot jet rubber plugs.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                X