I took my 1983 GS550E on its first ride in 13 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took my 1983 GS550E on its first ride in 13 years

And its a very good bike. After spending approximately 2 and a half months renovating this bike, I had the extreme pleasure of riding it around today. Its much lighter than my Honda CB700S and its easier to handle. Or at least it "feels" a LOT lighter.

I was very careful too .... it still hesitates at high throttle/rpm, possibly needs carb syncing which I have been putting off. It is a very quick and responsive bike. I got the LED turn signals to blink, finally, after a forum member explained to me how to do it.

I took it on the freeway after riding it without incident at slower speeds without any signs of problems. It did immaculately and surprisingly well at 70 mph (and I noticed the hesitation so I went back home and parked it).

Don't freak out ..... the back brakes are not there (as in, they are there, but they are not working). This is another reason I parked it - I thought I had brakes when I left home - after bleeding them with a new old used master cylinder. I need pointers on how to bleed the rear master cylinder because obviously I didn't do it right the first time.

Other than that, This bike is running pretty damn near perfect.

Good for you, nothing like bringing one around again.
    Hondas
    '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
    Suzuki
    '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
    Kaw
    '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Those are nice bikes, I just sold mine as I blew the engine. I think i topped it out at somewhere near the 130 mph range according to the gps

Comment

Check out tips and tricks for my home made mighty Vac brake bleeder !!! This is a great tip - Its how I bled my mastercylinder without taking it off \\/

Comment

Awesome. I just got my 83 gs550e going after some carb work too. Just a couple of things if anyone can help...Cold bike, choke on..bike will not idle by itself unless I keep it idling with the throttle. Do this for a minute or two, jump on the bike, go a block ...and no more problems at all. Does this dound normal? The carbs were cleaned (thoroughly) main and idle jets replaced, bike is air tight. Also, had it on the highway and at 80mph, it seemed like that was just about it. I could have squeezed a little bit more, but it probably qould have taken a little more highway. It goes like hell up to there, it just seems like the gearing is wrong for it to go faster. Any ideas? I am getting a 4-1 kerker set up this weekend and will probably play around with that, but until then, should I leave it as is?

Comment

Glad to hear that you're on the road and that you're parked again until you fix the brake issue.

As far as bleeding the brakes goes, the procedure is outlined in the FSM (from RepairManualClub.com).

Congrats again!

Comment

550ERAT,

No offense, but you seem to "hijack" threads rather than starting your own. May I respectfully suggest that you begin your own thread for the issue above? I think it would be helpful to all in that posts wouldn't be intermingled on two different issues/bikes.

Oh, and no, that doesn't sound normal.

Comment

Don't mean to "hijack" but I figure the people reading these posts have the same bikes and probably have the info. I don't want to bother the others if they don't have the same bike or issue.

Comment

Originally posted by 550ERAT View Post
                  Don't mean to "hijack" but I figure the people reading these posts have the same bikes and probably have the info. I don't want to bother the others if they don't have the same bike or issue.
                  Its cool dude. I think MelodicMetal God was trying to say you would get responses by the tenfold to your bike issues if you started a thread concerning the issue(s) you are having. He was trying to be helpful - not critical.

I see you were able to start a thread and will read through it. :-D

Comment

I got what he was sayin, no prob. Just figured the people who own our bike may read these posts first and have either had the problem or know of it. Again, sorry to steal/hijack your post. Good luck with the bike.

Comment

I am definitely having some brake issues. I ordered rear calipers for my bike and get this - the guy is new to stripping down bikes and I am getting a spare foot peg, master cylinder, reservoir, brake hoses, brake pads (lol) need I say more? for $37.00 (and the calipers)

Comment

Where are you getting the parts from? That's a great deal.

Comment

Ebay - if you dont have paypal - send a money order to sellers that accept them

Comment

Working...
                          X