choke up or down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

choke up or down?

This might sound like a stupid question, but my Clymer manual says to put the choke down when starting a cold engine and up for a warm engine???? Is this right???????

Where should it be when I'm riding around town?

I'm getting poor mileage could me riding with the choke down the whole time create this problem??

Oh yeah....it's a 1977 GS550e

Satch

Alex up when warm has to mean off. I usually use full choke(on) to start my bike the first time in any day then after that i never need it again(off)). Usually as soon as the bike starts, wait a few seconds and then slowly push the choke levetr towards the off position yto maintain about 2000 rpm.Some bikes almost never need choking to start. All bikes are diferent though. You must develop a feel for your particular machine.
    Alex it sounds like you need to have a long long thread on tuning your engine bit by bit.

Comment

Is it a 'plunger' type choke or does it have a lever somewhere on the handlebars? Either way, it sounds like a missprint in the manual. Yes, it's likely that the choke has to be off when the engine is warm and on when the engine is cold but I'd be very surprised if Up=Off and Down=On.

Roger

Comment

The choke is one the left side of the carbs.

Satch

Comment

Originally posted by satchmo

Satch
          The choke is usually not really a choke but an enrichening device. When it is on the lever will pull a rod to the right of the carbs(on) If it is a plunger type then there will be a knob instead of a lever. knob out((to the left is on)

Comment

Originally posted by satchmo
            Satch
            Glad you said that, Satch: my '83 GS750ES has the lever on the handlebar and moves left/right......the mechanism rod on the left side of the carbs moves in/out (out is choke on).

If your bike is like my old Yamaha, lever flat (or up) is choke off, lever down is choke on.

One way to tell is to move the choke lever just after you start the bike for the first time in a day (i.e. when engine is truly cold). Revs at idle should be higher with choke on......my bike won't even idle at first start up of the day without at least partial choke.....after a few minutes the choke can come off completely.

Comment

Satch,

My GS550 has the same carbs as yours. The choke lever down, is choke off.
              Must be some misprint, like Roger said.

Comment

Working...
              X