Laying battery on it's side?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laying battery on it's side?

First off, sorry for such a noob question.

I'm looking to relocate my battery in the rear under the Cafe seat I'm fabricating. I know you can buy "dry" batteries that can be positioned any which way.

My question is, how do I know if my battery is capable of this. In looking at the battery, there is no access to the cells of the battery, it looks factory sealed and there is no drain exit or tube like other batteries I'm used to.

This picture probably won't help much...but here it is anyways.

I don't know if this is the stock battery or not, I bought the bike with this one installed. I can try to obtain model specifics today after work if it'll help.

I hope I can find an answer to this so I don't have to drop $70 on a different battery.

Peace

Originally posted by darkbane View Post
    ..................... I can try to obtain model specifics today after work if it'll help.

Peace
    That will help for sure 8)!

Comment

First off, sorry for such a noob question.
      Hey, we were all noobs once upon a time. If you don't ask, you won't learn.

I know you can buy "dry" batteries that can be positioned any which way. My question is, how do I know if my battery is capable of this. In looking at the battery, there is no access to the cells of the battery, it looks factory sealed and there is no drain exit or tube like other batteries I'm used to.
      Well, they're not actually 'dry'. They're not 'gel', either, as many people think. They are Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) batteries, where the electrolyte is fully absorbed by a very porous fiberglas material between the plates. They are totally sealed, and the ones that I have used say they can be used in any position except up-side-down.

'No access to the cells' and 'no drain exit or tube' are good clues that it might be an AGM battery.

I hope I can find an answer to this so I don't have to drop $70 on a different battery.
      I guess the extra money might be for shipping, but they are only $60 from Batteries Plus.

You can't go wrong with a good AGM battery. Better cranking power, longer lasting (for when your r/r fails) and the best advantage ... NEVER having to check the electrolyte level. \\/

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got an AGM from Wal-mart for less than $50 with the core return. My stock battery was smaller (10a2 form factor), so I put the .5 inch wider (the more common 12 series form factor) walmart battery in the stock location sideways. this battery has 2 more AH and 50 more CCA (225 CCA if i recall) than the stock form factor.

Rick
        81 GS550TX

Comment

It sure looks like one, but if you peel off a couple of those goofy stickers, it should uncover more info about the battery, and might say "AGM" or "Gel" or something helpful like that.

If you uncover a model number, punch it into Google and see what you get.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Here are some pictures of the battery. I'm not seeing any specific info that is sticking out at me. Sorry the pictures are so big.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the battery. I'm not seeing any specific info that is sticking out at me. Sorry the pictures are so big.

I'd say this picture says some pretty specific things - it is a sealed AGM battery which can be used in any position except upside down. The big clues are that it says sealed and never add water.

Comment

What does it say under the "BELL" and "JE" stickers? Those are just stickers someone slapped on there -- they don't have anything to do with the battery.

The "MF" you can see sort of sticking out behind the BELL sticker means maintenance free. I'm also pretty sure it's an AGM battery, but I'd want to make sure first.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I don't know what it says under the stickers. I'd probably have to get a heat gun and heat up the adhesive to peel the stickers off correctly. Unfortunately I don't have that at my disposal at the moment.

I'll see if I can get them off.

Comment

DO NOT use a heat gun on a battery ... EVER!

Go to the hardware store and buy a product called "Undu." It'll take those stickers right off.

Regards,

Comment

No need to remove the stickers. Your pictures tell you what you have, and Miss Fab has explained it. \\/

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                      X