Idels, but dies when open the throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idels, but dies when open the throttle

Hey y'all! Used to be around here much more - rode the TX Hill Country with the Texas crew a few times.

Anyway, here is the issue: '82 GS650, almost bone stock as far as I can tell.

It sat for awhile (yea, I know, my bad) but I went to get it up and running again recently and I have it to where it will start, warm up, and idle fine, but as soon as you start to open the throttle the bike just simply dies - can't open the throttle at all, even in neutral with no load on the engine and it does this.

Any suggestions or places I need to start to try and track this down and correct it? Any and all help appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike

Fatboy in too close proximity.......

The Fatboy put a hex on it.........:-D Naaw, just kidding!:-D Check your fuel tank connections, and check to see if the petcock is clogged from some small debris, sounds like a fuel problem.
    Dan

Comment

Carbs clean? I know...how many times is that mentioned on this site? About a thousand?

Seriously, if it starts and idles fine but dies whenever you try to give it gas, there's a very strong likelihood that the slow and/or main circuits are blocked, resulting in no fuel (or not enough) beyond idle.

Comment

Ya, it seems that before you ask any questions about a bike not running well, you might as well clean the carbs first. That's the first thing everyone seems to say to do.

Comment

I'll be the black sheep and ask if the slides are moving freely?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

OK, went home last night and the bike wouldn't even start before I did anything else to it - carbs have already been cleaned - yep, familiar with that sage advice - about the first place I always start.

Went ahead and pulled the petcock and there was some gunk in there, so got that cleaned out, put it all back together, but the bike is still not starting - not even catching like it wants to start now.

Slides seem to be fine. Guess I'll take off early this afternoon and see if I can't get this figured out. Thanks all for the input.

Comment

Mike you are alive!!!!!

long time no hear, Tel Val I said hello.

are you getting gas from the petcock to the carbs?

have you checked the bowls to see if gas is getting into the float bowls past the inlet screens?

it is possible dried goop from inside the fuel line broke loose and clogged the float inlet screens on the carbs.

fall ride coming up in a couple months Mike!

Comment

It sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Assuming that there is no issue with plugs/spark, consider the following:

Fuel Cap - clogged vent hole

Petcock - clogged (althought it sounds like you feel that this is OK)

Floats/Float Valves/Float Screens - Check fuel level in float chambers - if low, possible issue with one or more of these three

Vacuum hose - Carb to Petcock - Ensure that carb is generating vacuum and that vacuum is reaching petcock and initiating fuel flow in petcock

Again, if you have any suspicions about plugs/spark, I'd check those first.

Best of luck!

Comment

If the carbs are clean, I'm guessing 1 or more damaged diaphragms.
                  With bad diaphragms, the bike will idle fine but accept no throttle.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have a similar problem where my bike was starting sometimes and now it just stopped. I finally checked to see if I was getting spark but my #2 and #3 is not sparking. Think it's the ignition coil. So check to see if you're getting spark too.

Comment

Thanks all....

Last night I just sprayed some carb cleaner through the inlet on the suspicion that the gunk that I found in the petcock had made it into the carbs and was now causing an issue. Sure enough, I got the bike to start and idle again, but #2 carb had a serious fuel flow problem - as in the fuel flowed all over the floor, so I suspect some of the gunk got in there and is holding something open.

Spark seems fine on all four - checked that last night as well. SO I'm narrowing it down, but looks like I may have to dig into #2 again (and maybe check the others again just to be sure) and re-clean 'em a bit.

We'll see...

Leon, thanks for the howdy! Actually running a bunch of folks through the Hill Country the week before y'alls event, so probably not gonna make that one again. Y'all have fun and ride safe!

Comment

Update

Well, I think it comes down to pulling number 2 and re-cleaning that carb (and maybe the connections between it and the other carbs, but the bike does start and run, just running rough and gas pouring out of #2 when opening the throttle too much. At first noticed that one of the screws on the #2 cap was loose, so tightened 'em all back up for good measure and now it seems the gas is being pushed back into the airbox since it's flowing from the airbox vent tube onto the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by texZN1100 View Post
                          Update

Well, I think it comes down to pulling number 2 and re-cleaning that carb (and maybe the connections between it and the other carbs, but the bike does start and run, just running rough and gas pouring out of #2 when opening the throttle too much. At first noticed that one of the screws on the #2 cap was loose, so tightened 'em all back up for good measure and now it seems the gas is being pushed back into the airbox since it's flowing from the airbox vent tube onto the ground.
                          Sound to me like a through check of the #2 (and possibly the others) float or needle valve components is in order. If the valve is worn, the spring is weak or the float is taking on fuel, there's nothing to meter the fuel into the float chamber.

Comment

I see a new set of o-ring in your future from www.cycleorings.com Your needle valve seat o-rings for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                              I see a new set of o-ring in your future from www.cycleorings.com Your needle valve seat o-rings for sure.
                              yes, those seat O-rings have provoked plenty of people to pull out their hair.

Comment

Working...
                              X