Difficult starting cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficult starting cold

My motorcycle seems to start fine in the afternoon when it is hot outside, but I can't get it started at all in the morning.

I am putting the petcock on PRI
    I am using full choke (and various other positions as well)

Any suggestions?

Clean the carbs

Comment

is the gas old? are the plugs in good shape?
      here's the golden question: have you had your valves adjusted?

Comment

Originally posted by longgreensilverado View Post
        is the gas old? are the plugs in good shape?
        here's the golden question: have you had your valves adjusted?

The gas is not old
        I don't know about the plugs (will check that)
        I have not had this bike for long and have not adjusted anything really.

I am not very mechanical so I probably need to get this in for a tune-up don't I?

Comment

What kind of bike do you have?

It could be some things mentioned above, but make sure that if its cold to use the choke ONLY. Do not open the throttle at all while trying to use the choke.... it nullfies its effect.

It took me a while to figure that one out and its easy enough to try on a cold morning.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
            What kind of bike do you have?

It could be some things mentioned above, but make sure that if its cold to use the choke ONLY. Do not open the throttle at all while trying to use the choke.... it nullfies its effect.

It took me a while to figure that one out and its easy enough to try on a cold morning.
            I generally ride a GS 1100.

The bike that is giving me trouble is a KZ 550

Comment

Mr. marvinmckenzie,

You might be able to find more specific information here.

Like:
              ------------------------------
              The pilot system and choke system control the behavior of the bike when cold. On your model, the pilot system is set somewhat lean so there are a couple things I would recommend.

First, you can richen the pilot system by adjusting your pilot fuel mixture screws located on the bowls toward the head.

LIGHTLY seat each screw noting the number of turns IN you have to make. Then screw them out the same number of turns, from LIGHTLY seated plus a half turn.

You can also do the same thing by bumping up your pilot jets to #17.5 and leave the mixture screws alone. This will also richen your idle mixture.

Keep an eye on your plugs and don't run with choke on any longer than necessary.

Also!!!! The choke picks up gas via the small brass tube on the back edge of the bowl. This tube has a very small hole in its tip and if this hole or the ones on the sides are clogged, the bike will be harder to start and won't idle well with the choke on. Clean the holes with a small piece of wire. Also remove your pilot jets and make sure they are not stopped up any or have deposits on them.
              -----------------------------------
              Just one of the posts when searching for "cold starts".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by marvinmckenzie View Post
                My motorcycle seems to start fine in the afternoon when it is hot outside, but I can't get it started at all in the morning.

I am putting the petcock on PRI
                I am using full choke (and various other positions as well)

Any suggestions?
                These things are cold blooded as can be. Full choke when "cold" below 80F in AM. The engine when warm will stay warm for ages. Thus - better starting later on. The PRI should not be required that is a refill of the carb bowls when run out of gas completely ONLY. Maybe your petcock is messed up or the vacuum hose to it?

Comment

hard start 550

I' ve had the same problem. You have to clean the carbs, even a small amount of crud in the carbs or pilot jets can cause the hard start!!!!! Been there done that. Once cleaned out you own the road........

bmac

Comment

Thanks for the help.

WOW cleaning the carbs looks like a LOT of work for a non mechanical type like me.:shock:

Comment

Working...
                    X