Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

airbox not lining up correctly with carbs? (GS850)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

airbox not lining up correctly with carbs? (GS850)

Hey all,
    I've got a 79 850 which is going through a bit of restoration right now. I recently cleaned the carbs with pretty great success but the carbs and airbox seem to be moving on me. Basically, the box seems to be sliding to rider's left after I've installed it. This means that the boots sitting in the box are shifted to the right and don't sit square in the middle anymore almost allowing an opening to the outside air which of course is no good. I can't figure out why this might happen as the box is fixed to the frame and carbs to the engine. I can't get either to shift and stay in place so that the airbox boots sit in the center of their openings. Any advice or similar situations? Thanks

Josh

Soft, fresh, yummy carb boots

Hi Mr. ironsheik,

Do you have fresh boots and O-rings all the way 'round?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The ones with the "R" go on the right (as you are sitting on it) and visa versa with the ones labeled "L". I just did mine that way an hour ago and worked perfectly. After that, I'm clueless.

Comment

Yup,
        new boots and o-rings all-round except for the airbox boots which are nice and pliable... I never moved those around at all so it all should have gone back together like it was... Hmmm

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by pvtschultz View Post
          The ones with the "R" go on the right (as you are sitting on it) and visa versa with the ones labeled "L". I just did mine that way an hour ago and worked perfectly. After that, I'm clueless.

This is correct info for later model GS850s, but all the engine/carb boots are the same on the '79 models.

I'm guessing the carbs aren't fully seated in the boots -- the '79 carbs are mounted to this huge bracket that makes it hard to see when everything is seated correctly.

But that's just a guess...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X