Another Idle Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Idle Question

I just got an 850 and I've had a problem with the idling. In general, the bike starts up with a little bit of coaxing. Power is fine and it pulls great. However, I can't get the stupid thing to idle. Unless I keep some throttle on the engine dies. This happens consistently. I've played around with the big idle screw with no success. Anyone have any ideas for a quick fix?

I have read every single thread talking about cleaning the carbs and whatnot. I totally intend to do that...however, it's only August and I figure that gives me at least another month or two of great weather to ride every single day. So I want to fix the problem at hand temporarily until it cools down and I have to put up for the winter. At that point I will completely tear down the carbs and clean them/rebuild them as needed. I just want to enjoy my baby while I still can without putting her up for the season.

THANKS!

you could have a vacuum leak. It could require a carb overhaul. Spray a fine mist of water or carb cleaner around the carbs and mounting area and see if it makes a difference. If not, probably no quick fix other than carburetor intimacy.

Comment

Well, I guess it matters where you live to determine the "end of the season". :shock:

I live in southwest oHIo and ride all winter, if there is no snow or ice on the roads.

So, you are saying that you would rather fight your idle problem for three or four full months (depending on where you live) than take the one week required to do a thorough cleaning and sync? Sorry, but that reasoning just doesn't make sense to me.

My version of a thorough cleaning involves complete disassembly of each carb and dipping each body with its own metal parts for a full day. When you take the first carb and parts out, put the second one in. Use a poker wire to make sure all the holes in all the jets are open, then spray carb cleaner through all the passages in the body (make sure you wear safety glasses), then blow everything dry with compressed air. Assemble the first carb, then disassemble the third one in preparation for the next day. Repeat until they are all done. Re-assemble the carbs on the rack, do a bench sync. By now, you should have replaced the intake o-rings, too. Put the carbs and airbox on the bike and fire it up. Do a dynamic sync, fine-tune the mixture screws and you are done. If you have all the parts before you start, it will be running 4 days later.

Four days of wrench time followed by four months of enjoyment sure beats four months of fighting, in my book. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What year is it?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It may be just running lean ! have you check your plugs condition, white plugs means lean condition, if this is the case a simple adjustment of the idle mixture screws on your carbs would probably help you.

Comment

Working...
          X