Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment question

Hello there gang.

I have adjusted my valves on my 1984 GS750E (canadian) the bike runs very good, idles perfectly and the engines sounds great. My question is: once the engine is at normal operating temperature the engine starts having a little bit of noise from the valve cover area... is this normal for this bike ? should I re-adjust the valves but at the max. recommended gap, I always adjust at nominal value.

Thanks for your comments.

Like what noise? Knocking? Ticking? How loud is it? Just on idle or throughout the RPM range?

Probably normal but a better description would help.

Comment

Low ticking throughout the RPM range, but still have good power.

Comment

It's hard to make intermediate adjustments on the shimmed valve adjustments.
        If you are right at the minimum clearance, changing just one shim size puts you right at the maximum.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

when the valves are adjusted correctly there will be a bit of clatter, it's when the top end is quiet or very noisy that you have a problem.

you could pull the cover back off and make sure a lock nut has not come loose.

Comment

I did that Focus... removed the cover and since it was opened I re-checked the valve clearances... still all to nominal so I guess this is normal for this bike when it runs hot... we have been having 100 deg weather here lately. Like I said the bike runs great and have nice power.

Anybody else as the same situation ?

Comment

If it is a ticking and your bike runs fine, your valves should be just fine. No noise is no good, means the valves are too tight and this will lead to early exhaust valve wear. For a number of years now, in the hot summer months I run 20W50 to keep the oil from thinning; the clutch pull is a bit harder for a couple of minutes until the oil warms.

Comment

I Have a 82 gs 650 and there is a little bit of ticking when i first start the bike in the morning or after it hasn't run for a while. Once it warms up the ticking is gone. Is this ok or should I do something about it?

Comment

Working...
                X