Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone with a '79 GS850G give me some measurements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone with a '79 GS850G give me some measurements?

I've been working on restoring a '79 GS850. Mechanicals are now done and it's time to move to cosmetics. The PO apparently wanted to go for a sparse custom look and removed all the emblems, filled all the holes and repainted the bike a sparkly black (which was a decent job and looks pretty good). I got new emblems and am putting them back on the bike. Since he bondo'd up the emblem mounting holes on the tank I have no way to accurately figure out where they are. What i need is an ACCURATE measurement of the hole locations. I'm thinking that a reading from the bottom edge of the tank to the hole centers would be the first measurement, with the second measurement being from the front edge of the tank at the fork tube opening to the hole centers. This should get me in the right area, then I can grind through the paint and bondo at those points and hopefully find the holes. Can anyone help me out?[-o< Thanks

I hope you wanted inches...

...and not millimeters. :-D

Mr. onchiman,

I have a 1980, but I'm pretty sure the tank was the same. I know SqDancerLynn1 has a 1979. She will correct me if I'm wrong.

As you know the screw holes themselves on the tank emblems are in the middle of the U and between the K and I. This makes the screw hole locations a little different on either side in order to align the emblems. I measured with a tape measure (as perpendicular as I could) from the outside edge of the tank seams to the center of the screw holes. IOW, align the end of your tape measure so that it's flush with the outside edge of the seam and keep the tape pressed against the tank measuring the curve too. Here's the measurements from my bike.

On the left side the front screw is in the middle of the U. It's 9 3/8" from the front of the tank and 5 3/8" inches from the bottom of the tank. The screw holes are 4 5/8" apart. The rear screw is 5 1/4" from the bottom of the tank.

On the right side the front screw is between the K and I. It's 8 1/4" from the front of the tank and 5 3/8" from the bottom of the tank. The screws are 4 5/8" apart. The rear screw is 5 1/4" from the bottom of the tank.

I hope this helps. Happy hunting. Would using a very small magnet help you find the original holes under the bondo?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

GREAT! Thanks Basscliff! that's exactly what I needed. I did try a small magnet but just couldn't "feel" where the holes were. Too much metal and too small a hole I guess. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by onchiman View Post
        I've been working on restoring a '79 GS850. Mechanicals are now done and it's time to move to cosmetics. The PO apparently wanted to go for a sparse custom look and removed all the emblems, filled all the holes and repainted the bike a sparkly black (which was a decent job and looks pretty good). I got new emblems and am putting them back on the bike. Since he bondo'd up the emblem mounting holes on the tank I have no way to accurately figure out where they are. What i need is an ACCURATE measurement of the hole locations. I'm thinking that a reading from the bottom edge of the tank to the hole centers would be the first measurement, with the second measurement being from the front edge of the tank at the fork tube opening to the hole centers. This should get me in the right area, then I can grind through the paint and bondo at those points and hopefully find the holes. Can anyone help me out?[-o< Thanks
        If it runs good and looks good....it is good. No one remembers what an original GS looks like. They only remember the size of their smile.

Most white males get 6 inches on their tank after a series of esses. Get the big one first and mark the location. Put logo there.\\/

Comment

Working...
        X