Please Help a Newb.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help a Newb.....

Hi all, first off thanks in advance for whatever clues you all can send my way. I just picked up an 82 GS650G with 7300 miles on it. Did the routine maintenance for a bike sitting awhile, Removed tank cleaned out and disassembled petcock and cleaned it out too, took carbs off and disassembled and cleaned, changed all fluids and was riding like a champ for three days. Yesterday on the way home from work the bike just quite on me while I was riding down the road at a comfortable 55mph. I pulled over and tried to restart with no luck. Sat a minute had a cigarette and tried again....starts with no problem. I get on the bike and ride about half mile down the road and the same thing happens. I pull over wait a couple of minutes....bike starts again....start riding same thing about another half mile down. Call my buddy he comes with a trailer and picks me up. We hit the garage and start troubleshooting (this is where I changed the Petcock). Petcock is working fine, ran through and everything seems good. take it for a test drive and after about 10 -15 minutes the same problem returns. Seems that when the bike warms up its choking with no fuel. If I turn the choke on all the way it will start and rev EXTREMELY high for a brief moment and then sputter around 3500, the minute I turn the choke down or give it some throttle it chokes off. HELP HELP HELP HELP!!!!!

I had a deal just like that. The Vac hose on the petcock was kinked.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Or it may be a fuel cap breather problem. When it happens again, take the cap off, put the petcock on prime, count to 10 and see if it fires right up and runs properly. Is so, the vent in the cap may be partially clogged.

Comment

Thanks guys...i'm on my way to my buddies house to go wrench on the bike. I'll check those things out. I appreciate the help.

Comment

I had similiar issues on my bike and it ended up being a bad ignitor box. Once it would heat up, it just quit working right - stranding me once and causing me to return home quick several times.
          Also electrical charging problems can cause this too - so check the voltage on your battery when you have it running to see what's happening on that front.

Comment

All of the possibilities mentioned thus far should be checked. Those and several other possible causes are listed numerous times on this forum. Learning how to use the search feature of this forum will save you tons of time, money and aggravation.

Comment

I had a similar issue a couple years back. It was in the summer and the temps were in the 90's. The solution was to replace all the fuses in the fuse panel. It's a cheap fix, and the best place to start before tearing it down.

Brad bt

Comment

Working...
              X