ok, carb? or coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, carb? or coils?

I just put the bike together after purchasing it about 6 weeks ago. its a 80 850G, and was running great yesterday. I drove for about 20 min and jumped on a hwy. I reached about 70 and the bike just lost power. I drove home and pulled the carbs. To my surprise, the jets were all brand new, but they are 115, I don't know under the rubber plug, and the jet in the front was a 190. this is not correct for an 80 850 is it? But that shouldn't cause a sudden loss of power, and the bike has not come back to life scince. I have gone through the carbs, did I miss something?Helprusty

Before tearing into the carbs again, go through the full list of other verifications (visually verify spark, check compression, blah, blah, blah...) listed extensively in other posts (some by me) - use the search feature. One of these is bound to reveal the problem.
    And yes, coils (and/or any of the other ignition components - igniter, pulse generator, etc.) can fail suddenly or gradually - especially if they are the original 25+ year old equipment.

Comment

It sounds like an electrical issue, often the bike will run fine until it gets too hot, than it will run poorly, or not at all.

Comment

Could be a petcock, coils or igniter.
        I'd start with the petcock.
        The 190 pilot air jet won't make you lose power.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

You need to be really specific. What does "not come back to life" actually mean?

Is it turning over? Do you have lights on the dash? Is there charge in the battery? Does it turn over, cough, but not fire? etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rusted View Post
            I reached about 70 and the bike just lost power.
            I did that too.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I can't remember the other jet sizes right now, but 115 mains are correct. 8-[

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                I did that too.
                Seventy huh. I doubt it.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sudden death?

Make sure you have a good charge on the battery first. Pull the plugs and ground them to the block, turn the engine over and make sure you have a good blue spark in each plug, turn the lights off if you have to. This will pretty much eliminate electrical. While you're at it go ahead and check your voltage on the + side of the coils to make sure you have 10 to 12v of juice, 13.5 with the engine running, the more the better, but below 10 is getting bad.

If the ign is good then check your petcock diaphram. Pull the vac hose to the carbs, and the fuel line. Apply a vacuum to the small hose and fuel should pour right out.

Mine died just like that and it was a bad connection on the main coil + wire.

Comment

Working...
                  X