Best way to lubricate spedo & tach cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to lubricate spedo & tach cables

Looking for tips/recomendations on the best way you guys have found to keep those cables lubed. I'm sure someone out there has it down to science. Also, is it necessary to lube the mechanicals inside the gages?

Thanks - happy riding!!
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

well a good slick dry graphite works fine but requires you to slide the cable up some from the tube.

a old trick that works wonders is to take a bag and poke the cable through it and using rubber bands secure the bag to the cable tightly, and then secure it up right (wire hanger) and pour the lubricant of choice into the bag.

you take the other, lower end of the cable loose and place it over a catch can to recieve the excess lubricant and gunk the fresh stuff washes out.

there are also devices on the market that attach to cables and allow lubricant to be forced into cables.

I use ZEP "Aero lube" it is a white lubricant with micronized teflon and vydax, very slick stuff that looks and feels just like the stuff that comes in the factory cables.

Comment

Thanks Leon,

I like the bag trick - maybe I'll give that try, not sure what lubricant to use though. Where do you find that Zep stuff?

Thanks for the response

Mike
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

CHAIN WAX touts itself as a good cable lubricant. i spray a little WD-40 in first as sort of a general flushing agent, wait a couple of days then spray the chain wax in. seems to work well enough. freed up a sticky tach cable on my 81 GS1100E.

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
          Thanks Leon,

I like the bag trick - maybe I'll give that try, not sure what lubricant to use though. Where do you find that Zep stuff?

Thanks for the response

Mike
          well it's comercial grade stuff I"borrowed" from work, Zep normaly uses route sales people but I have seen some of their products at home depot back before I quit going there.
          you can also call 1-877-I buy zep (877-458-9937)

Comment

Thanks guys, I have enough info now to be dangerous!
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Working...
            X