Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 850 carb problems?????

Ok...here we go!
    My wifes ride is a 850 shaftie with the stepped seat. Supposedly the motor had been hot-rodded. It had a stiff race-style clutch which I pulled the heavy springs out of...but I can't make heads or tails of the running problem. The story goes that the carbs are off a Yamaha XS-1100..??
    Doesn't make sense on the displacement discrepency.
    The thing takes a long time to start(lotsa cranking, and when it does start it backfires thru the pod style K&N filters.When running and up to temperature it won't want to pull past ..say 4K. Any way to ID the carbs to confirm the type & size of the carbs.They have lots of wire ties & the like as if they are indeed not the "correct" carbs. It also has a Kerker exaust on it. Perhaps there is a way to see if the cam is stock or of the hotrod type?
    Rick........

I have seen XS 1100 carbs.

The XS 1100 carbs I saw had a manual choke on the side of the carbs, and Chrome plated tops, and bowls. Maybe they were chrome plated by someone other than the factory. Maybe the person who put the carbs on your bike retro fitted the GS choke lever to them. I would asume that 1100 carbs might be bigger that 850 carbs. My 850 has 32mm carbs. 1100 carbs would probably be 36mm.

Comment

Take a picture of them and post it here.

Comment

Pictures..pictures

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
        Take a picture of them and post it here.
        I went looking for my new digital camera but I can't find it...I'll have a neighbor shoot some pictures for me .........meanwhile I'll approach it from a coil breakdown side.......much easier for me!!!!
        Rick.........

Comment

Working...
        X