petcock fuel filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

petcock fuel filter

I have a 79 GS1000L with vacuum petcock. I tried bushing the filter clean with an old toothbrush and the screens almost disintegrated in front of my eyes. The petcock diaphram seems to be good so I don't want to replace the whole thing but the filter seems to be pressed in or epoxied in place. What is available and what are my options if they are not?

Go get a see through fuel filter (probably auto parts store has section for lawnmowers) cut your gas line and place a filter there - running from petcock to carburetor.

Comment

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
      Go get a see through fuel filter (probably auto parts store has section for lawnmowers) cut your gas line and place a filter there - running from petcock to carburetor.
      That would work fine for filtering gas to the carbs but I don't want a lot debris going into the petcock. I plan on doing a tank cleaning but I'm a bit worried about what various chemicals, like phosphoric acid, will do to the paint. I'll probably still use a filter as you suggest to further filter out fine rust particles.

Comment

Gonna just throw this out there, it may or may not work. I would take the pet cock and float assembly out before you put anything inside your tank to clean the rust and varnish. And McGuverize something to keep the openings sealed. I use Gunk Carburetor cleaner - the type you buy in gallon cans from an auto store, and leave that inside the tank for a couple of days. I then dump it out and reuse it for another couple of days. I would even use paint thinner as it dissolves and cleans rust. I rinse it out until the thinner is clear then I let it dry and reassemble. as for your petcock - if its like mine the filter is a permanent attachment (which really is a pita) so if the filter is ruined I would go and buy a new petcock _AFTER THE TANK HAS BEEN TREATED :-D

Comment

Try and find some Kreem or POR-15 (?). Most member's swear by the POR, but I've only used Kreem. You will need to remove all the internals on the tank and cover the holes as best as possible. And a tip, that I failed to follow, save the chemicals that you use when treating the tank. You can reuse them if necessary.

The other option is to take it to a radiator shop and have them seal it. It's a bit more pricey than the DIY products, but it's supposed to be the best way to go.

Brad bt
          Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2007, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X