Barnett Clutches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnett Clutches

Well, I have rode the 850 till the clutch's death. It is starting to slip in all the gears once it has reached normal operating temperature. I really wanted to order Alto fiber plates from JC Whitney, due to my good past experience with them, but the are on back order until 8/17. I checked Alto's website and talked to customer service. They have come out with a new line of fiber and steel plates, and they are still researching the fiber places for some of the GS's.

Since Alto isn't sure when they will have a clutch package ready, I don't think that JC Whitney can guarantee a shipment by 8/17. I did more internet research and found the Barnett seemed to be the best aftermarket candidate, mainly because they are compatible with synthetic oil. I was able to find the fiber clutch kit and springs from one website at a good price. I found the metal plates from another distributor in SC also at a good price. Thus, I will replace the springs, metal plates, and fiber plates all with Barnett stuff. Now my question is, what are your thoughts on Barnett products? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I've had a set of they're fibre plates with a set of stock steel plates and springs from an 1150 in mine for years, many of them drag racing it and slipping the clutch a ton. Good stuff.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Got one in mine and no problamo. Had to go back to stock springs tho due to extreme clutch pull.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

When I needed to put a new clutch in my 850 I wanted to put in a Barnett. However as I asked around I was advised not to unless I was going to race it. EPA regulations have forced Barnett to manufacture their plates differently than before. I'm not an expert on this subject, but my research said no for the street.

Here's a thread I started, check the last post. You may want to PM Racing Jake for more info. about this.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Not trying to mess you up or offend, just trying to offer what I learned about the subject. Maybe in the last year they've fixed some of the problems.

Most felt for all around riding OEM is the way to go.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2007, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brs127s View Post
          Well, I have rode the 850 till the clutch's death. It is starting to slip in all the gears once it has reached normal operating temperature. I really wanted to order Alto fiber plates from JC Whitney, due to my good past experience with them, but the are on back order until 8/17. I checked Alto's website and talked to customer service. They have come out with a new line of fiber and steel plates, and they are still researching the fiber places for some of the GS's.

Since Alto isn't sure when they will have a clutch package ready, I don't think that JC Whitney can guarantee a shipment by 8/17. I did more internet research and found the Barnett seemed to be the best aftermarket candidate, mainly because they are compatible with synthetic oil. I was able to find the fiber clutch kit and springs from one website at a good price. I found the metal plates from another distributor in SC also at a good price. Thus, I will replace the springs, metal plates, and fiber plates all with Barnett stuff. Now my question is, what are your thoughts on Barnett products? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
          I have Barnett drive plates, fresh OEM Suzuki springs, and I also replaced the large grooved bronze thrust washer behind the primary basket and my clutch action is perfect. Don't be temped to use Barnett springs, there is NO need for them in a street driven clutch, and the clutch pull with Barnett springs will be STIFF !!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply folks. As for the springs...well I already had ordered them. I know the service manager at the local shop here. He told me to go with stiffer springs. The Barnett site listed these as stock replacements.

Comment

Originally posted by brs127s View Post
              Thanks for the reply folks. As for the springs...well I already had ordered them. I know the service manager at the local shop here. He told me to go with stiffer springs. The Barnett site listed these as stock replacements.
              I fitted Barnett friction (fibre) plates and HD springs to my 850 after the rebuild. The standard clutch let go with the extra torque, even though the stock plates and srings were well within spec.
              The clutch has a heavy feel to it at the lever. Some others have fitted a combination of OEM and Barnett HD springs (3 each) to cure the slip and the heavy feel. I will probably try that later this year and end up with a spare replacement set that way.
              :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
              GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
              GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
              GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
              http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Well, I got the Barnett steel drive plates today. I was suprised when I looked them over. The have a smooth steel finish. When I replace the stock plates, they had little oil dimples to hold oil between the plates. Is having a smooth steel between the fiber plates going to be an issue?

Comment

Put em in and ride:-D If you don't like them I have some stock steels in good shape I'll part with.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oh I definitely will give them a shot...it's just that I hadn't seen anything other than the stock plates with the oil dimples. I should be getting the fiber plates and springs within the next couple of days. I need to order the rest of the stuff (gaskets, etc), and I will be ready to put the new parts in.

Comment

I have Barnett friction plates in my Kat1100 (bored out to 1170, ported head, Yoshi cam profile, open zorst, etc.), and they've been great. No complaints at all. You can haul the throttle open and there's no way I can get it to slip.

Comment

Just changed my friction (fibre) plates with the Barnett ones, used the OEM springs... runs like a new bike, very smooth and no slippage even at high RPM... very satisfied.

PS: Make sure you soak them in oil for at least 10 mins before installing them... wet clutch.

Comment

i have them in my gs550e along with HD springs. i not only need them, but absolutly love the feel they give. Nothing like holding the tach at 6k and dumping the clutch.. hold on
                          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Well, I drained the oil and took the bike apart tonight. I found was caused my clutch to fail in the first place. The piano wire clip that holds the spring washer in the back of the bike popped out and got in between a metal and a fiber plate. It wore a groove in the metal plate and wore all the friction material off the side of the fiber plate. If that had not happened the clutch would have been fine.

Now this leads to the 100,000 dollar question...Do I need to put a new piano wire clip back on when I put the clutch back together, or can I just forget about it? I think I have heard that it can be left out, but I want to make sure that is true before I do.

Comment

the barnett clutch kit is the way to go but dont use the mt23 springs if they come in the kit. very stiff and uncomfortable for everyday street riding.

Comment

Working...
                              X