Odometer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odometer Question

I just bought a new speedometer and need to set the miles on that to match the miles on my old one. I need to increase it by about 20,000 miles. I don't really want to open it up, any ideas?

If you really HAVE to run it up, connect the bottom end of the speedo cable to a drill, adjust the speed of the drill so it reads 60 mph on the speedo. lock it it and wait for two weeks. :shock:
    Actually just 13 days, 21 hours and 20 minutes, but you said "about" 20,000 miles. 8-[

In reality, just keep the mental note of the difference, and when (if) you ever sell it, check the appropriate box on the odometer statement on the title.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      If you really HAVE to run it up, connect the bottom end of the speedo cable to a drill, adjust the speed of the drill so it reads 60 mph on the speedo. lock it it and wait for two weeks. :shock:
      Actually just 13 days, 21 hours and 20 minutes, but you said "about" 20,000 miles. 8-[
      Anyone ever try this with a Dremel? Or would the high rpm's be too much for the speedo? Just curious.

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
        Anyone ever try this with a Dremel? Or would the high rpm's be too much for the speedo? Just curious.

Brad bt
        Does the Dremel have enough balls to even drive the speedo?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguarjoe View Post
          Does the Dremel have enough balls to even drive the speedo?
          I honestly don't know.

Brad bt

Comment

Yes, the Dremel has enough torque to drive the new speedo, especially if the cable is properly lubed.

I don't know about the bikes, but most cars with mechanical speedos use a cable that turns about 1000 times per mile.
            If you use a drill that turns 1000 rpm, that's a mile a minute, or 60 mph.
            Most Dremels idle about 5000 (and probably don't have enough torque at that rpm), which would try to drive the speedo to 300 mph. :shock:
            Run it faster, most have a top end of 30,000 or so, and you will try to get your speedo to read 1800 mph. :shock: :shock:

The only good part of that is that you might bend the needle enough that it will be accurate (if it still works). \\/

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X