79 gs850g No key needed!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs850g No key needed!!!!

Fuse blew and I replaced it. Turned the ignition key off and nothing happened. Bike kept running. Disconnected negative battery cable and noted the battery was very hot. Figured the ignition was shot and replaced it with a brand new one. Nope! Same problem! Curses. Key does nothing and headlight and power runs continually unless negative battery cable is disconnected. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Which fuse blew?
    Sounds like you have a direct short somewhere.

Comment

It seems like your ignition switch has a short in it somewhere and what is happening is the red main power wire is sending power to the orange ignition on wire. Have you disconnected the ignition switch from the main wiring harness? I think the switch has a .5 inch by .5 inch square white or green connector with four wires going into it.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-05-2007, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Check the wiring harness where it comes back along the steering stem. Sounds like the harness is not quite where it should be and has gotten smashed, shorting two wires together.

Just had this happen on the 650 last week. My son was backing it out of the garage and kept honking the horn. I had to go out to see what all the noise was about. In reply, he merely turned the front wheel fully to the right, bouncing it off the stop, and the horn honked each time. The harness was getting pinched between the fork tube and the steering stem. A quick re-positioning and a zip-tie and he was gone. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks

Already disconnected the ignition wires but the headlight and everything else is still powered on. I will check the wires just down from there for pinched or broken wiring. I dumped my bike in Calgary last October and broke my neck litteraly. The cops said the bikes equipment(crashbars, faring, etc) saved my life. The bike faired better. We had to realign the front forks and it's quite possible the wires got jammed or pinched when the bike went down or when we were realigning the forks. Thanks for your help. Ride on. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by letterman1172 View Post
            Fuse blew and I replaced it. Turned the ignition key off and nothing happened. Bike kept running. Disconnected negative battery cable and noted the battery was very hot. Figured the ignition was shot and replaced it with a brand new one. Nope! Same problem! Curses. Key does nothing and headlight and power runs continually unless negative battery cable is disconnected. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Read this, sounds like you might have the same issue as I did:

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Working...
            X