bike is dead-electrical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike is dead-electrical question

I have been working on my bike(79 550E) for the last 2 months, started with a carb clean, working on removing some rust etc. I had to go slow because of the work and family, just work on it in my "SPARE" time. well I finally got it back togetherand my tank painted so I was ready to start it up and work on tuning the carbs and get it back on the road.
    New problem...
    I re-installed the battery but the bike is completely dead. I turn it to on and there is no sign off life, no horn no lights nothing to indicate that it's getting juice.
    Tested the battery and it's good. Before the work the electric system seemed fine. I don't think I messed with any wires. I did clean the stator cover but was pretty careful.
    Any ideas?
    Just another problem

Test to see if you're getting power to the main fuse and the ignition switch. A wiring diagram and multimeter are going to be your best friends now.

Comment

This has happened to me twice. The first time I cleaned the fuse block and all was well. The second time I pulled a "good" fuse and it crumbled in my hand.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Silly question, but I'll ask it anyway...is the battery good? And charged?

OK, so that was two questions, but you say you have been working on it "for the last 2 months". I have never seen a battery that will charge itself while sitting on a shelf. They DO, however, discharge. 2 months is plenty of time for it to go dead.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I checked the battery and it's got a pretty good charge, enough that I think it would at least give a bit of life to the lights or horn, something. The battery was only a few months old when the bike went under the knife.
          I think I am gonna have to go through the whole electric system, bummer.
          just when you think your almost there, another step back.
          Any ideas on how much I can sell a non running 79 gs550e for?

Comment

Time to sit down with the wiring diagram and make sure the electrons are getting where they're supposed to go.

Take it a step at a time, starting at the battery terminals. Confirm the voltages are what you expect at each point. It's pretty straightforward.
            Mark Fisher
            sigpic

Comment

I just encountered this problem with my 80 550e. After replacing the carb boots, I had nothing but the neutral and oil pressure lights. It wound up being a grounding issue. Apparently I had not gotten the ground wires back exactly where they were.

I know its way late but thought I'd post this for future searches.

Raeldin

Comment

Working...
              X