No announcement yet.

Time to pay, sad mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought, but would the shock mounting stud from let's say a gmc pick-up work? I have a mono shock so I don't know the exact set up. But drilling out the old stud, inserting a new one and then tacking it in place doesn't sound like such a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
      Well, If you've still got one side, you can just beef everything up and run a single sided shock. It looks cool on this Ducati.
      While this looks cool, you would have to replace the remaining stud with a larger one that could handle twice the load of the other one or else you will be looking at two broken shock mounting studs, not just one. Also, the bearing in the swing arm will need to be replaced more since the vectors acting on them will be different and the swingarm is not designed for a single shock system.

That Ducati sure is purty!

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Just my opinion but I'd drill/grind out the old post and then have a machinest fashion you a new one which then should be welded to attach. It's going to cost you a little money but shouldn't be too bad - less than $100. I hate mickey mouse repairs on structural parts.
        Ditto. Just get it welded properly. Very simple repair for a pro. Shouldn't cost much. It'll hurt even more (than your wallet) when the shock let's go at high speed.

Comment

BTW - That Ducati aint Purty - It's sex on two wheels!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
            Would this work?

Cut off protruding piece. Drill out the frame. Slide heavy-duty bolt through with washers on the inside and outside. Install shock, washer and acorn nut. Ride.

It won't be as structurally sound as the original, but it might make it roadworthy enough to ride to a welder and have it welded in. Plus, most of the work is done so it'll be cheaper just to have the welding done.
            I think this would put too much crushing force on the frame tube.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Well, that would depend on how much you torqued the nut on and how close the welder was. The ideal situation is to load it on a truck and take it to a welder, but as a person without a truck myself I understand that sometimes you have to deal with a less-than-ideal situation.

Is the frame tubing really that prone to crushing?

Comment

Update!

Called like a 10 guys in town. No one wanted to mess with it.

One shop said they could do it until they found out it was not a Harley! LOL

Found a guy, $175. Had to cut it off drill through the frame and re-weld another on.

Pain in the ass error, but had to get it fixed right. No micky mouse stuff.

Comment

Glad to see you got er fixed. I was going to suggest calling a muffler shop. Believe it or not, those guys are pretty good welders, and if its a mom and pop shop, they'll usually do stuff like that on the side for cash money. And they're used to welding on tubing, which is a plus, as ive seen some very good welders struggle welding tubing pretty. Nothing messes up the lines of a frame like a big glob of bad weld...

TCK

Comment

Working...
                  X