No announcement yet.

Popping like a shot gun (Louie)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice Louie, sounds like you are learning your stuff.

Comment

** UPDATE **

All 4 spark plugs get nice and carboned up when idling for long periods. Turns out a synchro will not fix this problem. Floats are set good. Looks like I am going to be resetting the needles to 2nd notch.

Another report to follow after change.

Louie

Comment

Louie
        Youre looking at two different ranges and two classes of settings.
        Plugs carboning up after long periods of idling have to do with the adjustment of your fuel pilot and air screws. At idle, the needles and mains are not operating, so this condition has nothing at all to do with the adjustment of the slide needles.

For the correct mixtures relative to the main jets and slide needle settings, you must run the bike at the rpm range (on the road) that you are trying to set mixtures for. These settings cannot be determined in the shop with the bike idling.

For my mikuni slide carbs, changing the slide needle position requires that you re-synchroniize the carbs each time because the slides and their adjustment nuts must be removed to alter the needle settings.

I would first synchronize the carbs at idle. The slides need to operate uniformly and with the same intake velocity to enable you to accurately and equally set the fuel pilot and idle air screws. The reason I say this is because at idle, required engine air intake volume is a constant and changing initial slide height will not alter volume. But, it will alter velocity, which in turn alters fuel pick up capability and results in a mixture change.
        Float level height is the 2nd factor which will alter mixture considerably.
        Raising the slides in idle range synchronizing will reduce vacuum resulting in less fuel pickup capability and hence a leaner mixture.

Earl

Originally posted by ageekapc
        ** UPDATE **

All 4 spark plugs get nice and carboned up when idling for long periods. Turns out a synchro will not fix this problem. Floats are set good. Looks like I am going to be resetting the needles to 2nd notch.

Another report to follow after change.

Louie
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
        X