1980 Honda CM200T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Honda CM200T

OMFG I don't know what I got myself into. I work with this guy. Really nice guy and he said he had an old bike sitting at a mechanics friends place. He said the guy was stringing him along and didn't do sh*t to it. He had stated that at one time someone had put aluminum foil in the fuse box and had some sort of smoke coming from under the tank. I figured he fried the R/R so I got one off Fleabay for $25. The bike arrived today and what a POS. I don't think there is a lens cover or a cover that isn't broken or cracked. First I take a look at the battery and the R/R. Everything is all taped up and screwed up. I pull the R/R and notice it says 6volts. (the one off Fleabay is 12 volts) The battery that I can't get to charge and was totally rigged to fit in the batery box says 12volts. I'm trying to drill this guy and asked him if the bike ever ran with this battery. He said it did but he is really english challenged. I noticed a portion of the wiring harness under the tank had some holes in it like it burned so I stripped the tape and found a portion of the harness was replaced with new wires. I then tried to take off the ignition cover and oil started pouring out of it. This bike runs on a one point system and it was totally submerged in oil. After I got that mess cleaned up I removed the point cover, advance and the stator cover(same side!). The stator looks good.
    Since some clown hooked up a 12 volt battery to a 6 volt system do you think the coils and points are fried?
    I honestly told the guy to junk it but there might be hope for it?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Chief I don't think that it hurt the points, but condenser is probably shot. Check the ohms on the coils that might tell you something about them. You can manually check the coils by fireing the points by hand I would think. Good luck with this one a book would probably help.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

bumpity bump bump
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

They might be burned but you should be able to clean them up.... Anything with a chip or resistor in it is likely to be dead.... I'd replace the condensor at least.

The stator might be ok, unless it burned the windings or something (my electrics knowledge isn't that good)...

I'm not surprised the RR is shot.... All the bulbs will be blown too, hopefully the switches & wiring will be ok.

Higher volts should mean less amps so they should have been able to take it.....

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I don't know if the R/R is shot or not. I hope you test a 6 volt the same as a 12volt.
          I'll take a pick of this thing. It just might make BOM. The tires are dry rotted. The cables are all rigged. The seat isn't held down by anything. The tank isn't either. I almost sh!t when I took off the ignition cover and oil gushed out of it.:shock: The whole rear brake light assembly is broken. The front brake switch wire is frayed. No frame covers. Ect.........
          This guy is hellbent on getting this thing road worthy. Good luck!

Comment

1980 Honda CMT200

I also own one of these I bought one for my wife new in 1980 has 5,600 actual miles been garaged since day one. They are nice little bikes and worth bringing back. Good luck

Comment

twin star!! I had one in high school, one day on a wim a buddy and I saddled up and rode up to Ardmore Oklahoma for a coke, 260 mile round trip! little CM never missed a beat.

were the points submerged in oil? that would be very bad.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                This guy is hellbent on getting this thing road worthy.
                I hope this guy has a few hundred to throw into it. Even using Ebay parts and salvaging what you can it's going to cost a bit. Sounds like there's a seal out under the points cover allowing oil to get in there. This looks more like a candidate for a rat bike than anything.

Comment

Working...
                X