Headlight Idiot Lamp 83 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight Idiot Lamp 83 GS1100E

Has anyone had a problem with this lamp coming on? The headlight is fine but this lamp is turning on and off unpredicatably. I'm going to start checking and cleaning associated electrical connections.
    1983 GS1100E owned since 1992. SOLD! :cry:
    1990 RM250L since 1989.
    1986 XR250R since 1987. SOLD!
    1968? Suzuki B100P. SOLD!!!
    2 1992 XR100R's since 1995? for wife and daughter.(Just sold one 12/26/2016)
    1993 Z50R for other daughter but about to sell since she has out grown it. SOLD!!!
    2002 DRZ400S 12/04/10 SOLD!
    2006 DR650SE since May 2012
    2005 DL1000K5 since January 2013
    Green is just another color.

My stop / tail indicators have been going on and off for 15 years. Im not sure if there related to the headlight indicator. It will probably come back to a bad ground somewhere.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

me too

I get lots of idiot lights going on and off all of the time on my gs1100e.
      So long as it is doing well I pay no attention to any of it. I am certain that it has something to do with dirty connectors....but I dont kick a sleeping dog. Ya know what I mean?

Comment

wait... there is an idiot light on that bike to tell you the headlight is on? just curious

Comment

Originally posted by catfishk View Post
          wait... there is an idiot light on that bike to tell you the headlight is on? just curious
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

wow, there is!

i thought motorcycles had to have the headlight lit always, legally?

thanks for the pic

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              That's a nifty little LCD gizmo ya got there. What all does it read?
              sigpic

SUZUKI:
              1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
              HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
              KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
              YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

how much energon is in the energon cubes, no doubt

Comment

Originally posted by catfishk View Post
                  Not for sure about the light on the GSs, but I have had a "headlight idiot light" on previous Kawasakis, and my son has one on his Yamaha Venture Royale. They have a "Reserve Lighting System" which will automatically switch the headlight if a filament burns out. If your low beam burns out, the high beam will come on at about 80% brightness. If the high beam burns out, the low beam comes on at full intensity. In either case, the idiot light comes on to let you know of the failure. I presume it's similar on the GSs.

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  That's a nifty little LCD gizmo ya got there. What all does it read?
                  I have a couple of those on various bikes, too. What you are seeing on the display in the picture is (from left to right), a stopwatch, battery voltage (nice numbers \\/) and air temperature. The stopwatch can be switched to a regular clock display. The temperature can display in F or C. Across the top of the display are red, yellow and green lights that show charging status at a quick glance. There is also an ice warning that can be switched on and off. In the on position, it can flash lights or beep at you when temps get below 35F. There is a backlight for night viewing, but its intensity is directly proportional to input voltage, so at idle, if your voltage drops below 13 or so, you might not be able to read it very well. It is also NOT waterproof, but I have had reasonable success by spraying a couple coats of clear polyurethane over the display to keep most of the moisture out. Cost? Quite reasonable at under $25.
                  You can get one here.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And of course still no answer on why the damn indicators come on for no reason........
                    82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      And of course still no answer on why the damn indicators come on for no reason........
                      To complicate your life and lessen the riding pleasure....:-D After all, they are "idiot" lights..... My old GS850L only has four "idiot" lights: neutral, high beam, oil pressure, and the turn signal indicator light. Much less complicated....if my tailight or headlight quits working when I'm riding, the only indication I'll get will be the voltmeter increase, or somebody trying to run me over at night (of course, they do that anyway, lights or no lights)

Comment

Working...
                      X