tire dummy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire dummy

My gs850g has a 130/90/17 rear tire. I would like to replace it with a dunlop K491. this is the size they indicate MT90B17 ELITE II REAR.

is this the right one? not sure what the first "MT" means.

It appears that it is the right size. The link bleow is a good conversion chart as well as other information on motorcycle tires.

Comment

thanks i figured it was the right one, but the first 2 letters threw me.
      thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by longgreensilverado View Post
        My gs850g has a 130/90/17 rear tire. I would like to replace it with a dunlop K491. this is the size they indicate MT90B17 ELITE II REAR.

is this the right one? not sure what the first "MT" means.
        The M means that it is a Motorcycle tire.
        The T is the size, which is a 130.
        The 90 means that the distance from the bead to the tread (the height of the tire) is 90% of the width.
        The B is the load range (weight-carrying capacity).
        The 17 is the rim diameter in inches.

Are you mail ordering this tire, or picking it up in person? The Elite II tire is being phased out, and while it is a "new" tire, it may have been made a year or more ago. Look at the DOT code on the side of the tire, if you can, to see when it was made. Look at the last 4 digits. They represent the week and year of manufacture. If, for example, they are 3706, it was made in the 37th week of 2006. Try to get something within the last year, if possible.

Why is it that the width is now expressed in millimeters, but the diameter is still in inches? :shock:
        Expiring minds want to know. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks steve i went to the link and learned the sizes and meanings. thanks for the other explanation.

maybe i should stick with my original selection of the metzler marathon 88.
          i've been using the laser tech, but since the rear is a pain to change every 8000 miles i want something comparable that will last

Comment

I have an MT90-17 Dunlop Elite II on the rear of my GK right now. No better value for the money, considering how long it will last and purchase price. I have an MT90-16 already installed on the stock wheel, ready to go on the bike at my convenience.

The Marathon Metzeler is fine, but it will probably cost you a significant amount more. As long as you can get the Elite II, do so. Tire age doesn't matter that much to me, as long as it isn't more than 5 years old; this may or may not matter to you that much.

Comment

Hey Grandpa

I'm going to be doing the 17 to 16 swap on my 79 850. Bought front and rear Elite IIs off eBay already mounted on GS wheels. From what I've read and heard they should last longer than the 404s I put on last year.

Scott

Comment

Working...
              X