Cam chain hitting Head Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain hitting Head Cover

I was wondering if anyone would have some suggestions as i am stumped on this one.

I have some rattles in the motor that sounded like the cam chain and after checking the cam chain adjuster several times i had to go further and start dismantling the motor as i thought it was maybe a worn cam chain.

But after i starting stripping i found the cam chain has been rubbing on the cylinder head cover next to the chain guide on the right hand side as you can see on the picture i have attached.

All the cam chain guides are in as new condition with practically no wear and the tensioner is working fine.

The guide sits higher than where the marks are as the picture is deceiving so any suggestions as to why this could be rubbing.

The cam chain also seems to be in top condition with no stretching evident.

If the noise is indeed the chain then it must be flopping. How do you know the cam chain tensioner is working properly? Bike info is helpful too.

Comment

The pad is shot, replace it. There are measurments for the tolerance of cam chain stretch. They are measured at the 20 pin mark. Don't know what it is though.
      V
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Thanks for the replies
        The bike is an 81 GSX1100EX.
        The cam chain tensioner is working as i it has plenty of spring tention and can be checked when the cover is off.
        The chain seems to have not been stretched and seems to be in good condition but i'll see if i can find out the stretch tolerance somehow.
        The pad seems unworn along with the other ones as and i am unsure when they were replaced before i purchased the bike.
        Can anyone tell me what the thickness of the pads are when new.

Cheers

Nick

Comment

Just a thought, could it be that the valve cover was torquered down so tight that it made the cover rest too close to the head causing the chain to hit the valve cover itself?

Scud

Comment

Thanks Scud for the reply

Funny i was wondering the same thing and i also posted this on a local discussion forum here asking if it was possible to happen as the gasket has been flattened out pretty hard and measuring the height there aint too much room above the chain on the sprocket to the underneath of the head cover.
            The rubbing is directly above the top center of the sprocket also.

I'll check it out some more and thanks again .

Nick

Comment

Nope, I've run those things without a gasket before with no rubbing. Replace that top block, check your chain tolerance, can't find it off hand but someone will know it. Make sure your chain tensioner, chain blocks and guides are working correctly and not worn, I'd remove the tensioner and clean it out to make sure its not binding. Changing the chain is a heck of a job but better than having it let go.

Comment

it takes the same cam chain my 82 gs1100g takes so they should have the same stretch tolerance
                take all the slack out and measure 20 pins if its more then 6.213in or 157.80mm replace it

Comment

Thanks guys,very helpful info

I'll check out the measurement tonight as i was unable to find the tolerance so a huge help

Comment

Working...
                  X