Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody running Mikuni RS34 carbs??

1978 GS1000

The RS34's I'm looking at have a 40mm spigot OD. I don't know what my stock VM26's are. I suspect around 36mm. I'll have to pull them off to measure them.

Did you have to change your intake boots or were you able to push them in?

Any other issues?

Just thinking about this at this point.

If you want to do that, you need to get a 1980 or newer head OR you are wasting your time. Earlier heads have much smaller intake tracts & would require custom intake manifolds.

Comment

It's not that I'm looking for huge performance gains here. I just want to install NEW modern carbs. I'm really becoming anoyed at throwing money into new parts for 30 year old clapped out carbs. You know stuff like "I need this part, wait two weeks", or "Oh, this part is not available anymore" I suspect I need new needle jets, the separate part that goes into the throat and receives the needle and wears out, which oh by the way, is not available from Suzuki anymore. If I have to pull these carbs off again I think I'll scream. If the bike were not in such good condition, I'd be tempted to throw gas on it, light it, and walk away. I could understand this if I were a noob, but Iv'e been turning wrenches since I was old enough to hold one. Iv'e been dicking around with this thing all summer. I'm sorry, just venting

Comment

Check Sudco, they will probably have any parts you need if you decide to rebuild the carbs you have.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock View Post
          Check Sudco, they will probably have any parts you need if you decide to rebuild the carbs you have.

Needle jets (emulsion tubes) for Mikuni BS34SS don't exist on this planet. No one makes them. Take a look at www.factorypro.com and scroll down on the left side to "Carb jets - Emulsion Tubes - Needle Jets" and take a look at the top of a Mikuni emulsion tube and how it wears out. That causes the pilot circuit to run rich, no matter how you adjust it. If you know the spacing between the carbs and the spigot (O.D.) in mm you should be able to cross reference that to a newer set from another model bike. For example, the RS34-D21-K has carb spacing 77-93-77 with a 40 mm spigot opening. You can find carbs from an '88 GSX-600, all GSX-R750's, all Suz GS750, all Kaw KZ 750. With the same spacing and a 42 spigot O.D. you can get carbs from all GSX-R1100, GS1000-1500 and KZ 1000-1100. Pretty good range, don't you think? I'd stick to CV carbs for all around good street riding performance. Like Rock said, get in touch with Sudco and they'll help you out. Good luck !!

Comment

Working...
          X