Exhaust Question for GS650L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Question for GS650L

I'm a new rider and bike owner... I got a wicked deal on an '83 GS650L (35k on the clock) and some new mufflers but it turns out that i actually need a full new exhaust system instead of just replacing the mufflers (the headers have a hole rusted in them).

My local shop (Modern, Vancouver, BC) can get MAC 4-into-1 and 4-into-2 but other than looks and price I dont know the difference.

Can someone provide a little advice on their differences and perhaps how they'd look/sound on my GS650L

Are there any alternatives? Investing $550CAD (plus labour) seems a little serious at this stage.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Originally posted by iDodgimus View Post
    I'm a new rider and bike owner... I got a wicked deal on an '83 GS650L (35k on the clock) and some new mufflers but it turns out that i actually need a full new exhaust system instead of just replacing the mufflers (the headers have a hole rusted in them).

My local shop (Modern, Vancouver, BC) can get MAC 4-into-1 and 4-into-2 but other than looks and price I dont know the difference.

Can someone provide a little advice on their differences and perhaps how they'd look/sound on my GS650L

Are there any alternatives? Investing $550CAD (plus labour) seems a little serious at this stage.

Any advice greatly appreciated
    Welcome to the forum!!! You have a nice bike there. Now let's see some pics soon.I have the same problem looking for exhaust.There is not much out there.E-bay has the mac exhaust for like 329.00 and also the 4 into 1 a little cheaper.I have heard that mac is not very good quality but I wouldnt know for sure.I do have a couple of sight you can look at that have the ones to fit out bikes.Either way they are pricey!I'll get them for you right now.Ok, Im back. try www.laserexhaust.com or www.exoticsportsbike.com or www.starcycle.com that's about it I think.I have also hear a 550 exhaust will fit with a little persuasion. Good luck and ask any questions you want to about your bike and I will try to answer them since i have probably been there and done it!!!You can do the labor yourself. Just soak the screws down with pb blaster a couple of day before you take them out.Be careful , they like to break off!!!!Then get some hexhead screw from the hardware store to replace the old ones.Also order new flange gaskets from the nearest suzuki dealer.They are about 2 bucks a piece and you will need them.Make sure your new mufflers clear the center stand and also leave access to the oil drain plug.You might want to post where your at and somebody in your area might be able to give you a hand someday.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2007, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks...

Are there any differences between the 4-into-1 and 4-into-2 other than the look?

Is the labour really that simple? I'm not so mechanically minded yet...

Any hints on how to shine her up all pretty would be appreciated (especially the chrome parts, they're looking a little mottled), her previous owner didnt pay too much attention.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I get it nice and shiny
      Until then there's some pics from my first road trip here:

Comment

oh, I live downtown in Vancouver, BC if there's anyone willing to share some knowledge/skill

Comment

Thanks...

Are there any differences between the 4-into-1 and 4-into-2 other than the look?

Is the labour really that simple? I'm not so mechanically minded yet...

Any hints on how to shine her up all pretty would be appreciated (especially the chrome parts, they're looking a little mottled), her previous owner didnt pay too much attention.

I'll get some pics up as soon as I get it nice and shiny
          Until then there's some pics from my first road trip here:
          http://picasaweb.google.ca/Dodgeorama/InteriorBikin
          I looked at your pics and that's the same color as my bike.Check out my pic's!! I use mothers chrome polish and mothers aluminum mag polish.You can get them at wal-mart.Give it a good wash with mequirs car shampoo and a scrub brush then polish,polish,polish!!I also go to the local Harley dealer and get S 100 engine brightner and it works great!!!!The only thing about the bolts is they usually want to break off at the head.Hopefully if this happens there is enough to grab with vise grips and soak and twist out.I broke one off and used a heat gun on the bolt area and it came right out .Look at them and see if they are really rusty.If you soak them down good and then tap them with a hammer first they might come out easy.The tapping will loosen up the rust in the threads and make them easier to get out.You should order a clymers manual to work on it.

Comment

oh, I live downtown in Vancouver, BC if there's anyone willing to share some knowledge/skill
            Those are not the original bars on your bike .The L has the buckhorn bars and also a round headlight.Your bike has been changed and I like the square headlight.I was thinking of getting regular E model bars like that but I have a fairing and would also have to change all the lines and cables. You can get a clymers at www.themotorbooksstore.com It will help you get to know your bike better.

Comment

Clymer book is ordered
              Are flange gaskets and exhaust gaskets the same? turns out I have 4 new ones, came with the bike...

Comment

Clymer book is ordered
                Are flange gaskets and exhaust gaskets the same? turns out I have 4 new ones, came with the bike...
                Yep! they are little rings that fit in the head.Looks like they are wrapped in silver foil or something.I think it's asbestos.The most important thing is to keep your air filter clean and change the oil and filter on a regular basis.I change my oil every 1500 miles and filter every other oil change.Also clean and reoil the air filter every oil change.Dont forget about the oil plug under your shift lever.The transmission is lubricated with the oil also and that is important.I use air filter oil from belray. some people use regular oil but it will pool up in the airbox after a while.The air filter oil is also real sticky and traps all kinds of dirt and moths and small animals that get sucked in to the air box!!! LOL The 650 is an all around exellent bike to have!It is great around town and will also run 70 to 90mph on the highway all day long! I have put over 10,000 miles on mine in 2 years.Im just know coming up on 30,000.

Comment

Working...
                X