Solenoid bypass...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solenoid bypass...

I think I'm having issues with a bad solenoid on my 1982 GS650GL. Blew the main fuse and replaced it. All the lights are coming on, but nothing is turning at all. So, I'm going to go through bit by bit to see what else might have goofed along the way to (and including) the starter. Anyhow, I remember on an old truck of mine I had a solenoid go out on me and I was able to by pass it by putting a screwdriver on the two post. Can I do this on the bike too? If it starts, I'll know that's the probable culprit. I'd rather not wait a week for a $50 part hoping that's what it is.

Yes, you can do that.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Make sure you have your clutch pulled in and have it in neutral also.Is your starter button working? How about your clutch switch?These electrical grimlens can cause day's of head scratching problems when it could be something simple.Dont over think the problem. Check all ground wires!!!

Comment

I'm not sure where the ground wires are. I cleaned the clutch out and one of the screws for the housing assembly on the starter button is stripped. It was working just fine until I blew the fuse. It had been idling for about 10 minutes or so. My buddy and I were adjusting the idle and went to throttle it. Rev up...die. The back end of the fuse blew out instead of the filament breaking. So, I'm guessing it fried something out. THe lights all come on, but that's it.

Comment

OH...another thing. I'm 99% sure it's the piece just to the rear of bike by the battery, right? And the points to bypass are the one's point out and covered by the little black post covers?

Comment

What bike is it? There is usually a ground from the battery to the engine block.Just follow it down and one under the battery box.Look at all the wires coming and going to the battery.Check all connections.It could also be a hot wire with a crack in it somewhere that is grounding out on the frame.Just clean all connections anyway.Have you tried putting a new fuse in and see what happens?

Comment

Try a new fuse and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
              X