No announcement yet.

bike gets hot - stops running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm inclined to agree with Miss Fabulous. The CDI is likely to have a heat induced short or open after a short run time. Give the unit a brief cool down and it will work again until it over heats again and the motor shuts down instantly. IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
      maybe you could try one of these in line ignition spark testers.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4445

That looks like it would work perfectly. And there's a HF on the north side here in Columbus. Price is right. Thanks for the link !!!

Comment

results of ohm test on Accel coils

Originally posted by arveejay View Post
        Sounds like the wrong ohm coils are installed.
        The Primary side on the Accel coils are reading out 2 ohms, sometimes fluctuating for a second or two down to 1 ohm but then back up to 2. Never more than 2 ohms. The Dyna coils that I have mounted on my GS1000G read out a steady 4 ohms.

The secondary on the Accel coils are 12,360 and 12,410 ohms. I think that's acceptable.

I know the primary is supposed to be 3-5 ohms. So, what does it mean to have them be 2 ohms and what effect does that have? When I had these Accel coils mounted on a GS1100GLD, I didn't experience any problems with them.

Just wondering if I've found the gremlin that's causing this bike to shut down when it's hot. That would be nice to know before I tear open all the wire wrapping to test the rest of the wiring in the ignition circuit.

Thanks.

Don

Comment

Is that with or without the caps? My caps went to near infinite resistance when hot when my 650 had this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
            Is that with or without the caps? My caps went to near infinite resistance when hot when my 650 had this problem.

Without. I'm replacing the plug wires and caps. Got crazy readings when connecting the meter leads directly to the caps. I just read on the Z1 Enterprise site that using a lower ohm coil than what's spec'd for the ignition can cause the coils to heat up and fail. I think I've found the problem. I'll send a reply once I get the Dyna's installed and take the bike for a test run. Man, I'm stripping all the good stuff off my GS1000G. Looks like that one is going to be sitting awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by don_gibb6512 View Post
              The Primary side on the Accel coils are reading out 2 ohms, sometimes fluctuating for a second or two down to 1 ohm but then back up to 2. Never more than 2 ohms. The Dyna coils that I have mounted on my GS1000G read out a steady 4 ohms.

The secondary on the Accel coils are 12,360 and 12,410 ohms. I think that's acceptable.

I know the primary is supposed to be 3-5 ohms. So, what does it mean to have them be 2 ohms and what effect does that have? When I had these Accel coils mounted on a GS1100GLD, I didn't experience any problems with them.

Just wondering if I've found the gremlin that's causing this bike to shut down when it's hot. That would be nice to know before I tear open all the wire wrapping to test the rest of the wiring in the ignition circuit.

Thanks.

Don

I suggested the coils because that is what brought me to this site. I had bought a 1980 GS850G and someone had mounted accell coils for a 1979 850 on them. Bike ran like a raped ape for about 2 miles then would just die. Key off for 2 minutes then back on then it would run for 2 more miles. It would do this all day long. I Put a set of used coils from a 1980 Suzuki and the problem was solved.

Comment

It Stays Running Now !!!!

IT RUNS !!! And I can get out of my neighborhood now !!! YEA !!!!

Thanks to all for the advice. I put the Dyna coils I had been using on my GS1000G and the wires on the 1100E and that was all it took. Dang it anyway but those Accel coils must be junk. Bought those years ago brand new and used them on a GS1100GLD. I never did do an ohm test on them since I assumed they were 3 ohm coils since that was what was on the box. DOH !!! Never "ass"ume anything. For all I know they were 3 ohm and I burned them out somehow. I can hardly believe that I've finally done something like this and it's worked out. Hope I'm not jinxing it yet but dang, it feels good. Still have to throw in a set of Progressive springs and fine tune the carbs but that's a cake walk compared to what I've been through. Might throw in a Dyna S ignition too, seeing as how I've got the Dyna coils on her now.

Holy smokes. The kids get a few years older and you might even see me at one of the rallies. Wouldn't that be cool? Yeee-haaa !!!

Don

Comment

You'll love that 16 valve 1100 motor. When you get tired of it you can upgrade the hell out of it. (see below)
                  I crack the throttle on mine and it's like warp speed!
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                  X