Replace it or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace it or not.

Hi! I just open my GS-550l 1984 engine and have a simple question: Do i have to replace my metal head gasket with a new one even if it looks ok?

What else can i change or look for whth the head remove?

If changing is necessery, where can i find a nes gasket in Canada

Thanks
    Michel

You can order gaskets at any Suzuki dealer... I would suggest you replace it to prevent leaks it's always a good idea to do so, especially the metal ones that have been already squeezed in place. I live near Montreal and I never had any problem finding parts...

Why did you open-up your engine what do you plan to do ?

Comment

Thanks for answer. I opened it in order to install 2 helicoil... :-(

Comment

as a general rule of thumb - ALWAYS replace head gaskets (including the little o-rings around the oil galleries if so equipped) everytime you pop the head off. That will save MUCH time and headache down the road.

Since the head is off, clean up the carbon from the combustion area up by the valves. Look down your cylinders to see if there are any strange wear patterns or possible hotspots on top of the pistons. Check the head for warpage if you can as well and if the bike has a lot of miles on it, you might even consider popping out the valves and cleaning up their faces with a little lapping compound.

Comment

Since you are there I would verify and adjust valves and check the general condition of the pistons and cylinders...

Good luck with your Helicoils !!!

Comment

Originally posted by geologie View Post
            Hi! I just open my GS-550l 1984 engine and have a simple question: Do i have to replace my metal head gasket with a new one even if it looks ok?

What else can i change or look for whth the head remove?

If changing is necessery, where can i find a nes gasket in Canada

Thanks
            Michel
            DO YOU FEEL LUCKY? I've reinstalled head gaskets before and never had a problem. I WAS LUCKY THOSE TIMES. If you want to avoid doing the job again then replace the gasket(s) and o-rings.

Comment

If its been a long time since the head gasket has been replaced, or if its the first time, its also a virtual certainty that you'll need to replace the base gasket as well. If you move the block at all during the removal of the head, your brittle base gasket will almost surely develop a leak.

Pulling the head, in other words, usually involves pulling the block on these older engines if its never been done before.

Comment

Here's a tip, you can get a whole gasket kit for less than the cost of a new head gasket from the dealer. Vesrah gaskets have a good reputation and fit my bike perfectly. All gaskets were included and it cost about $70.

Comment

Working...
                X