Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to get lights (headlight and 3 dash lights) from???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get lights (headlight and 3 dash lights) from???

Ok, I'm going to be taking my cycle rating test in a week and a few days (I've been riding on an IP for the past 5mo or so, since in WI the only difference between an IP and a 'real license' is you can carry passengers and ride at night with a real license), so I'm getting around to dealing with some lighting problems the DMV may not be too happy with...

I have 3 dash lights (the Left turn, Neutral, and the High-Beam-On indicators) and the high-beam portion of my headlamp burned out...

I need new lights. I don't know where to get new lights, and don't have time for mail order...

So, 2 questions:

What type of bulbs are the little glass indicator lamps?

-and-

Where can I get a new headlamp (I have the big, sealed glass thing) locally (Choices would be WalMart, KMart, AutoZone, Checker Auto, NAPA, CarQuest, or 'a local bike shop')?

The headlight could be replaced with an auto type in an emergency. Best to go to cycle shop and get a MC specific type with a replaceable H4 bulb. The dash lights are like 3 watt bulbs and you need to get them from the dealer, Glass bulbs on auto type are too big to fit in the holder When I got mine the dealer came out with bulbs for a honda same size and Work fine

Comment

Ok, I got the dash lights, auto type, they're '160' or '161', from WalMart...

They fit, they work, that's done...

Now, the headlight...

Most that I've read about 'H4' lights mentions mail-order kits...

Is that sort of stuff available locally?

Comment

If you have a cycle supply locally they should have one should cost $40-50
        for headlight and H4 bulb. Most people go to the H4 for better lights, MC shop should have a reg MC headlight also?? They are made to take the vibration from a motorcycle, light pattern is different I think. I would look at walMart sometimes they can supprise you as to what they carry

Comment

What size/kind of light is a 450's headlight...

It's not 7in (it's smaller), that's for sure...

Comment

Headlight (bulb) problem sulved

Well, it's done with...

I called the Suzuki dealer about a replacement light, they told me $60 (yes, SIXTY dollars for an !@$%!#% HEADLIGHT)...

So I went to my local autozone, bought a #9003 auto headlight (small halogen bulb, looks like a projector lamp) because it would fit through the hole in the 'sealed beam' unit, and it had the right connector pattern for the GS's headlight plug...

I then proceeded to pry away the little metal tabs that 'sealed' the bulb into the headlight, and pulled out the bulb base. This left the glass part of the old bulb inside, but shaking the light around enough shattered this leftover glass so that it would easily pour out...

I then trimmed the metal flange on the auto bulb so it would fit the hole, and salvaged the 3 (2 metal and one rubber) washers that were used to hold the bulb base in place... By putting the large metal washer behind the flange on the new bulb base, and the small metal washer (with the rubber one over it) in front, I was able to crimp the tabs back down and presto-chango 'make' a new headlight for $10 instead of $60...

It's also a 55/60W instead of a 35/55W bulb... Brighter (MUCH brighter)...

Comment

A little ingenuity always helps save big bucks.

Comment

Heck when my GS1000L blew a high beam I strolled down to Auto Zone and picked up one off the rack with the same wattage for 8 bucks. Got the panel lights there also for about 4 bucks a pack. Ain't had a problem one with any of them. What's the big deal??

Comment

Working...
                X