clutch fiber plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch fiber plates

I replaced my clutch fiber plates at 14,000 miles with ebc brand. I now have 31,000 miles and notice a slight clunking feeling as I engage the clutch when in stop go traffic. Am I do for replacement? or is something else wrong? i do not ride hard or slip my clutch very often or try to do burn outs or wheelies.

Did you replace them yourself ? were they soak in oil before installation ? original springs ? cable adjusted ?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2007, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't think you would need new plates after riding in the conditions you described. First off I would adjust the clutch and clutch cable according to Suzuki's procedure. How long has it been since changing your oil?? Oil that is getting a little "long in the tooth" can make shifting clunky as well. Is the bike idling at the recommended idle speed? If it is idling at higher than recommended rpm that will also give you a nice clunk when shoving it into gear.
      Another remote possibility is drive chain wear - if you have a loose or worn-out chain, there will be slop that the clutch will take up when you drop it into gear.

Comment

Perhaps the springs in the clutch basket are getting loose.

Jay
        Speed Merchant
        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

I change the oil every 2,000 miles with spectro 10 40 with a new filter every time. I did soak the plates for a few days in the same oil. the idle is just above 1000. I clicks into gear easy and finding neutral is easy. it's just when i'm in gear and engage the clutch it seems a bit grabby

Comment

My money's on drivetrain lash (sloppy chain?). My 750 came to me with a too-loose chain and it was very clunky. Do you also have a clunk when you unload the drivetrain (let off the throttle), then re-load it (re-engage throttle) while in motion (especially low speed, low RPM)?

Comment

i have a shaft drive. no chain slop. it's just a light jerking if i let off the clutch while in first gear in slow moving traffic rolling along and engaging the clutch slowly to move with the flow.

Comment

Well I think one of the GS shafty complaints I've heard is too much lash, and unlike with a chain, there's not much you can easily do about it... Your drivetrain may just be wearing. Have you checked gear oil and lubed splines recently?

Comment

i change the oil at both ends (sub tranny and rear diff.) i though it might be the gears wearing. otherwise it's super smooth.

Comment

Or as Jay said, it could be the clutch basket. The springs on the gear back there are there to minimize this sort of thing.

Comment

it's possible i'll give it a look see since i'm just about due for another oil change. thank's for your help. it's good to have an extra pair of eyes

Comment

I had a similar problem with snatchyness. I replaced the spring seat and diaphram spring under the piano wire They call it the "Clutch Anti Snatch spring arrangement" in the Haynes Manual.

I also replaced all the steels and the improvement was obvious. Oh yeah I also replaced the rollerbearing and spacer in the clutch hub.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                        X