Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tries but no start

hi folks

i plan to be the resedent problem child.
    i have a 1980 gs850L but it doesnt leave the driveway YET!
    she ran when i got her but there was a clutch/clutch cable issue and i let her sit too long before i had time and $ to fixit. well that problem is fixed but when i let it sit, like a moron, i didnt drain the gas. i couldnt figure out how other than remove the tank and dump it. so the gas turned to varnish and i have more truble than i have had from a vehicle ever.

it tried to turn over.
    i cleaned the bowls and sprayed the cards with cleaner but havent rebuilt them. i want to but i am a starving college kid that cant afford the rebuild kits right now. i had problems with the fuel valve but after cleaning that and blowing it out it seems to be in working order. so now she will fire if i spray the carbs with starter juice but then dies out.
    what do i do???
    i am going to check the vacuum from the carb to the tank but after that i am lost. the clymer is great if you just need to know the steps to remove parts but it has been little help to me in this situation

and i did try to search the forum for help but there is just so much here that i have a hard time finding past thread that can help.

if you can help please do, if you can give me a link to another thread please do.
    thanks GS Resources

You are going to have to completely disassemble the carbs and clean them through out. Jets are probably clogged if you had varnish the tank and will need to be all cleaned as well. Cleaner through the carbs will not help, at least not in my experience. You may need to clean petcock and replace fuel lines as well.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Hi Mr. the_damnit,

Let it be known that on this day you are hereby welcomed to the GSR Forums as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof.

There's no way around it. After sitting for so long this is what needs to be done:

Other things to check for would be air leaks - there should be none. Seal the airbox and the top of the filter cage (use new weatherstripping after removing the old stuff). Replace the air filter. Replace carb boots and O-rings if nececessary. Check for a clogged petcock, replace if necessary (the rebuild kits have a reputation for not working). Check for clogged fuel lines and vacuum lines.

I encourage you to do it right the first time, even if it means not riding for a while. You'll have no end to your troubles if you don't. I wish I had better news.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Do it right, do it once

Just one more quick thing (and I make NO guarantees!):

If you really need to get it running on the cheap right now there is a very outside chance that you can use some Deep Creep spray to clean the carbs well enough to get it to run for a while. If so, put a generous amount of Sea Foam in the tank and run it as much as you can, a nice long drive of 100 miles or so. Sea Foam in the gas acts to clean fuel passages as you drive. Deep Creep is the aerosol form for Sea Foam that you can spray directly into the carbs to clean them. But be warned, this will not clean them well enough.

The ideal would be to completely disassemble the carbs and clean them correctly. There's never enough time or money to do it right. But there's always enough time and money to do it over. Good luck! Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2007, 04:05 PM.

Comment

ok so i think i will go the proper route and rebuild the carbs. i am eager to do this anyway because the guy before me had it rejetted for k&n can filters and i think it is all wrong. i want to put a stock air box and stock jets and play with the exauhst.

so the question is where is the cheapest rebuild kits that are quality?

Comment

Working...
          X