Fork Questions - 850GLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Questions - 850GLD

I have some questions before I do my fork oil & dust seals if any one wouldnt mind answering them I would appreciate it

1) I keep hearing mention of specialty tools to change fork oil & dust seals yet nothing in the manual for full disassembly and reassembly mention any specialty tools....

2) It says when measuring fork oil do it from the seal seating surface, so I assume it has to be done BEFORE installing the fork seals? And you measure down into the lower fork tube bottom?

3) has anyone tried the air pressure method for removing and installing fork seals without full disassemble/assembly? Results?

Sorry if these sound stupid but its my first time messing with forks and I dont have time or money for mistakes

Mr. mortation,

Here's a little help:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I did the air method, it worked perfectly! I used a bicycle stirrup pump to put the air in... took about 170 PSI!

To get a level cut of the tube to correct length on a trigger off a bottle of windex or similar & then pump out any excess.

Took me about an hour to change oil & seals. I used ATF to flush them as it's thin & cheap & then 15W fork oil.

I added progressive springs too. Wow what a difference!

Joe Nardy will confirm that they feel pretty good!

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I can confirm that the air method is nifty beyond belief.

Comment

OK Cool. Thanks. But what about number 2? And also what "solvent" should I use to flush the forks?

Comment

Working...
          X