Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever heard of Pre-Synchronizing your carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever heard of Pre-Synchronizing your carbs?

I found a little helpfull hint on the XS-11.com site.

Apparently you can pre-synchronize your carbs before you put them back on the bike. They will even run well enough to get you by without synchronizing them with a vacume guage at all.

First set the #3 with the main Idle screw untill you can get a small soft wire under the butterfly.
    Take out the spring under the main Idle screw if you need more clearance.
    Next set the #4 idle screw untill the wire fits under the #4 butterfly.
    Do number 2, and 1 in the same way.
    Finaly recheck them in the same order to get make sure they are adjusted as well as they can be.
    Put the spring back in and close the butterflys down with the main Idle screw. Instal the carbs, and test it out. They may need more adjusting with the vacume Guages, but you should be already running good enough to ride.

It's been discussed here a few times. You can also turn the idle adjuster until number 3 just closes then adjust the other three to do the same.

Comment

I wish I had known this before.

I wish I had known this before. I like doing things that make getting the final results easier. Like when I instaled a clutch on an old truck I centered the clutch as perfectly as possible before snuging down the preasure plate. I didn't even have to use the centering tool the get the trani back in place.

Comment

Re: Ever heard of Pre-Synchronizing your carbs?

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
        I found a little helpfull hint on the XS-11.com site.

Apparently you can pre-synchronize your carbs before you put them back on the bike. They will even run well enough to get you by without synchronizing them with a vacume guage at all.

First set the #3 with the main Idle screw untill you can get a small soft wire under the butterfly.
        Take out the spring under the main Idle screw if you need more clearance.
        Next set the #4 idle screw untill the wire fits under the #4 butterfly.
        Do number 2, and 1 in the same way.
        Finaly recheck them in the same order to get make sure they are adjusted as well as they can be.
        Put the spring back in and close the butterflys down with the main Idle screw. Instal the carbs, and test it out. They may need more adjusting with the vacume Guages, but you should be already running good enough to ride.
        That is the primary method of synching my smoothbores...

Hap

Comment

Working...
        X